Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all. I am rather new to AG collecting, and I am starting to understand the lingo. I know that AG changed hands from PC (peasent co?) to Matel sometime in the past. I also know they used to carry the Angelina Ballerina and Hopscotch hill school line that my DD has, but has discontinued them. (anyone else miss these lines or is it just me?) I don't like the new AB things that aren't american girl. Not the same qaulity and they just aren't cute I tell you!

Does anyone know if they have any plans to start other lines, or just concentrate on the 18 inch dolls (Hisotrial and Today dolls) and the Bitty Baby and Bitty Twins lines?

When was the company sold? Has there been any major changes to the quaility and serivce with the change, or are most people satisifed with it?

I would guess this has been discussed before indepth, but not sure if in one thread and I haven't been able to find one. Thanks form the newbie, (PhDfamily) [img]redface.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ March 02, 2006 10:40 AM: Message edited by: PhDfamily ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HI,

My 2 year old wants to do puzzles so I don't have much time to post...Below are two links w/ good info. on the AG company.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_girl_dolls"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_girl_dolls[/ame]

http://curtdanhauser.com/AG_Collecting/Main.html

HTH,

Bren
    [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, those are good links. Great info! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

SO are most people satisifed with the Matel managment of the company?

I looked at my nieces Kirstin doll, her tag does say Pleasant Company and made in Germany (1986 I think), but she would of got her new around 1996 or so (maybe Christmas 1995). I can't remember the date.

Would it reduce the value of the doll if I sent her to get a new head, or should I try Downy dip and some TLC (and maybe a magic eraser) to fix her up myself?

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ March 02, 2006 11:12 AM: Message edited by: PhDfamily ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One of your questions was if we know if they plan to start other lines- except for a few well connected people who probably can't tell us- I'd say no, we don't know. But it wouldn't suprise me if they did. Mattel has broadened American Girl into a brand, not a line. It was through them that there was the lines you mentioned, plus AG minis and Girl of Many Lands. They had the history mysteries (unrelated to the historical myseries) and have just started the Bath and Body Works line. To me, that shows they will take AG anywhere it is profitable. So far they haven't had much luck outside their flagship lines, but I don't think that will stop them from trying. Rumor on the board is the twins may be on their way out.

The company was sold in 1998. To me, there have been no issues with service. AG stands 100% behind their service, and will bend over backwards to make customers happy. (Shipping a new replacement doll, before getting the old one back, answering emails quickly, replacing defective product quickly, sometimes without requiring returns). The quality of the dolls has not dropped- I'm sure they are using some cheaper parts (like the stiff eyelashes) and the dresses aren't as nice or a historically accurate as they used to be. The main concern is accessories- with plastic taking over- but there are still gems in the accessories.

My main concern with Mattel is that the accessories and outfits tie in with the stories less and less. To me, the stories were what made the brand. Otherwise, it was just really expensive toys- and now it seems that is where they are heading. They have released many outfits that don't correspond to the stories- now instead of writing new books (or lifting short stories from the magazines) they are putting trading cards in the outfits. (granted the outfits are SO cute) I wish the books would be more of a focus. Not that they have forgotten about reading- they are publishing more non-fiction than PC ever did.

My main hope is that they remember the "character" line is geared for girls over the age of 8. More and more they are toys geared to the normal doll market of 4-7. Or to me it seems that.

But, as much as I have nostagia for Pleasant Company, Mattel has done good things. They gave us Kit (although Ms. Rowland was working for them at the time) and Kaya (don't know if she was then) who has be lauded among the toy industry and won multiple awards.

I just wish the "pasttimes" -the historical related activities- would be rereleased. More than dresses to tie in with the dolls, that would make me happy.

Because you said you are new, I thought you might enjoy this link- It's a catalog from 1995.
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2108967192

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If Kirsten's made in Germany, then it would reduce her value to send her in for a new head. I'd try to fix her up myself, if I were you. And also, there are distinct differences between older Kirstens and newer Kirstens. Like the older versions have paler blonde hair than the newer ones.

Felicity_Fan85

I'm pretty satisfied with the Mattel quality of the dolls. The accessories I wish were not all plastic. I only have one PM doll at the moment, my Felicity, and I got her in late 1997 (well she might've arrived in early Jan. 1998) so she is a late PM around the beginning of the transition time (correct me if I'm wrong on that). And I have 3 Mattels. The only problem I had is that Kaya's legs are loose, but she can stand on her own.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Laura.

It looks like there is a downy dip in our future. I need to get wig shampo, clear downy, a steamer and a wig brush (plan on getting this next order to AG, but am trying to hold off.) Anything else I will need? I have been reading up here!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info everyone. It has been very interesting and educational. I agree the books are the gem of AG and what really makes them so different then just dolls. My dauther is a bit young for them still, but I look forward to her enjoying them when she is older. The good thing is the AG dolls are timeless so I know they still will have the apeal when she is older.

It would be good if they keep the cothes and accessories with the story lines. That is one thing I liked about the HH line (that my DD has now.)

Once again great info here, thanks so much everyone! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]