Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does practically everyone not like these things in AG?

Inactive Member american-girl-fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

How if you send them to the hospital you get the ziptie. What's wrong with that???

How Mattel dolls are taller and aren't chubby or have those eyelashes. I don't get what is wrong with being skinny, I am skinny, my best friend is skinny. What's wrong with that?

I bet that if AGs were made like they are now in 1986 and changed them to how they were in the PM days, you would be upset about the changes too.

Please reply!

Thanks,

Hannah

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think it involves a lot of different factors. Different people may have different reasons. I think a lot of it comes down to quality.

The plastic ties are cheaper and easier to use.

The dolls are skinnier so they can use less fabric and less stuffing.

The stiff black eyelashes are no doubt cheaper than those soft feathery ones.

A lot of people got used to them the way they were, and now feel that the quality is slipping.

I personally am still impressed with the quality.They are so much nicer than so many other dolls on the market today.You want catch me complaining too often. I think they are all beautiful. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, of course I can only speak for myself on these issues...but here are my opinions.

I hate the plastic ziptie because you cannot remove the doll's head to do repairs the way you can when the head is attached by the cloth string. You may have to remove the doll's head if you ever need to take out her stuffing and clean her body, or tighten a loose head, or readjust a head that might be slightly crooked, or even to restring a doll with loose joints. The plastic tie will not allow you to do any of these fixes on your doll.

I personally don't mind that the Mattel dolls are skinnier. I am skinny, too, and there is nothing wrong with that. [img]wink.gif[/img] I think what annoys a lot of people is that some of the new Mattel clothes seemed to be sized for these skinnier dolls and don't fit the older PM dolls. I haven't had this problem myself, but I would certainly be upset if I couldn't buy any new clothes for my beloved old dolls because they wouldn't fit. [img]eek.gif[/img] I do have to say, though, that I have a PM Asian AGT who is extremely chubby, and she is one of my favorite dolls to hold and cuddle because of her soft, fully stuffed body. The new dolls do not feel like her at all, and I can see why so many people highly prefer the older dolls.

As for the eyelashes, the PM dolls have longer, softer, more realistic looking lashes. There's nothing horribly wrong with the Mattel eyelashes, but if you've seen both, there's no doubt that the PM lashes are prettier and more real-looking. So of course some people are disappointed that they don't use those nicer, more high quality eyelashes anymore.

Basically, I think that those of us who have been around since the early days of AG have gotten used to the high quality of the PM dolls, and some of the changes Mattel has made seem to have cheapened the dolls. Most likely someone who is not familiar with PM dolls would never be bothered by the things that old-time collectors are. It's just that when you get used to something, love it, and then it is changed in a way that seems inferior, well, you're not going to be happy! [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

That said, I still love the Mattel dolls, of which I have many, and I think they are beautiful. I just don't want to see the quality of these wonderful dolls cheapened in any way. And the plastic zip tie and stiffer, darker eyelashes do exactly that, in my opinion.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Katie148:
    Well, of course I can only speak for myself on these issues...but here are my opinions.

I hate the plastic ziptie because you cannot remove the doll's head to do repairs the way you can when the head is attached by the cloth string. You may have to remove the doll's head if you ever need to take out her stuffing and clean her body, or tighten a loose head, or readjust a head that might be slightly crooked, or even to restring a doll with loose joints. The plastic tie will not allow you to do any of these fixes on your doll.

I personally don't mind that the Mattel dolls are skinnier. I am skinny, too, and there is nothing wrong with that. [img]wink.gif[/img] I think what annoys a lot of people is that some of the new Mattel clothes seemed to be sized for these skinnier dolls and don't fit the older PM dolls. I haven't had this problem myself, but I would certainly be upset if I couldn't buy any new clothes for my beloved old dolls because they wouldn't fit. [img]eek.gif[/img] I do have to say, though, that I have a PM Asian AGT who is extremely chubby, and she is one of my favorite dolls to hold and cuddle because of her soft, fully stuffed body. The new dolls do not feel like her at all, and I can see why so many people highly prefer the older dolls.

As for the eyelashes, the PM dolls have longer, softer, more realistic looking lashes. There's nothing horribly wrong with the Mattel eyelashes, but if you've seen both, there's no doubt that the PM lashes are prettier and more real-looking. So of course some people are disappointed that they don't use those nicer, more high quality eyelashes anymore.

Basically, I think that those of us who have been around since the early days of AG have gotten used to the high quality of the PM dolls, and some of the changes Mattel has made seem to have cheapened the dolls. Most likely someone who is not familiar with PM dolls would never be bothered by the things that old-time collectors are. It's just that when you get used to something, love it, and then it is changed in a way that seems inferior, well, you're not going to be happy! [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

That said, I still love the Mattel dolls, of which I have many, and I think they are beautiful. I just don't want to see the quality of these wonderful dolls cheapened in any way. And the plastic zip tie and stiffer, darker eyelashes do exactly that, in my opinion.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto! Right on target as to how I feel. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not everyone prefers PM dolls. I happen to prefer the high color in the faces of MM (Mattel manufactured) dolls. The PM dolls always look so pasty to me. [img]eek.gif[/img] I do have a few PM dolls, but I've painted their lips and colored their cheeks.

Being a skinny girl, myself, I can't really complain about the newer dolls having less stuffing. I've got very little stuffing myself, and my husband never complains about cuddling with me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I personally like both Pre-Mattel and Mattel. They're just different from each other.

I love the softer vinyl on the PM dolls, but I also prefer the facial color of the Mattel dolls.

We actually have 2 really cuddly Mattel dolls. I think they are stuffed a bit looser so they are cuddly. Interestingly enough, they were both ordered around the same time.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I totally understand the reasons given and I agree nothing should be done to cheap the quality of these awesome dolls. OUt of 12 18" AGs, only one is PM and honestly she is well loved so it's hard to compare her with Mattel Molly side by side. I adore my Mattel girls and I think they're beautiful, more beautiful then most of the similair dolls out there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Katie148:
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Replacement nylon tiewraps are available at Home Depot in the electrical department. Carefully cut through the old one, slide it out, slide in a new one, adjust the head and cinch up the tiewrap before cutting the "tail" off...

Taffy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Since all my dolls are mattel,I beleive they are great the way they are,and I don't exactly know what a PM looks like.

Felicity_Fan85

I like both PM and Mattel. I like the strings because they look classic and allow for home repairs.

I have one PM and I love the eyelashes because they look more real-the Mattel ones are okay too though.

I like to have some of the dolls be skinny and some chubby- it makes for a more realistic look to a group of girls. I wouldn't want just skinny AGs but I wouldn't want just chubby ones either. My Felicity (my PM) has a more huggable body to me, but the others may become more huggable as the years go by. I also wouldn't want to by an outfit for a PM and have it not fit.

I have one PM and 3 Mattels. I love them all so much but I like them to stay high quality- which I think they still are.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast