Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you have other kinds of dolls (non-AG)... (Semi-OT)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Scarlett Slipper:
    At first I said to myself, only collect AG and nothing else!!! But no... my friend Ana showed me the world of Carpatina and poof! Fell in love with Emma!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah!!! Go ahead!!! Blame it on me!!!!
    Actually, if the shoe fits... I have the three Stardust Classics (Laurel, Alissa and Kat), one rewigged Just pretend (Rhiannon) and a Carpatina Ana Ming (Ranefer)

They are all lovely and exceptionally well suited for costuming. However, they bring about a whole new need for wardrobe pieces... what a hard life! [img]wink.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/moon.gif[/img] Ana [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Besides Lissie, I have a cloth doll dressed in vaguely regency style clothes called Jane, though she's a lot smaller than eighteeen inches. She and Lissie are actually really good friends and hang out together on the bed. Even when I leave them alone there sometimes, I'll come back to find them nearer each other than when I left.

I say that it is the cat moving them when she jumps up there but I think I know better than that.

There are also my faeries and my GI Joe sized George Washington but I don't really "Play" with them, they're just fun bits of my decor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just have to many dolls....after reading your post I decided I need to unload some of the stuff.....I have baby dolls, barbie dolls, Alexander dolls, Good Kruger dolls...time to get rid of some of this stuff....thanks for the reality check..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My sister has three AG-clone dolls but she doesn't like them as much as her AGs. I've had two clones and one was given to her and another to charity. I just like the AGs better, I guess. Their hair stays up to play better, as well.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color="purple"><font size="2">Ahem... I, Susanna (see avatar) am the most important member of this family! I am the only one who can time travel and go everywhere! I'm not different from my friends who smile with their teeth showing! </font></font></font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

We have had several different 18" AG clones, Heidi Ott, Madame Alexander's Dear America, Magic Attic, and even Zapf. We've never had Springfield or Battat, they just look "cheap" to me. BUT now we only have AG (15 dolls), Cady Elizabeth Stanton(Gotz), and My Twinn (2 dolls). We had a Middleton Baby that I gave to my sister. We had Madame Alexander Little Women and two Ginny's, but sold those to buy more AG. I just started a Waldorf doll collection (12 dolls) with some Kathe Kruse. I really like them because they are made from all natural products and most are handmade. I just bought one made in Africa and even tried my hand at making one myself (haven't finished). It is interesting to read what other dolls are collected.

Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi!

I have a fairly large collection of Madame Alexanders which are for display only right now. They sit in a bookcase with glass doors in our living room and don't really do much else besides looking lovely.

When I was younger, however, I played extensively with about the first 5-8 MA's I got with my best friend, who also had a collection of MA's, and so some of my dolls are quite well loved. We also played with my mom's Toni dolls, which she gave to me when I was very little (3 years old!) and so these got a lot of love too. The Toni's were the MA's mothers, nannies and older sisters in our games since they are about 16 in and the MA's are almost all 8 in.

I am sure that the wonderful times spent with these dolls are what has led me to adore the American Girls now. Plus, the MA's really are more collector's items at this point since so many are "LE" Madames. Sorry for rambling on a bit [img]smile.gif[/img] and thanks for asking!

Katie

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I usually play the same way with all my dolls: I like to change their outfits, redo their hair, take pictures (if I get around to it), arrange them into picture stories, imagine personalities and back stories for them...

I tend to mix only those dolls who come reasonably close in size, style and proportions. Gene looks alright with Alex, since both are stylized in looks, but I don?t like the Tonner girls, who are more realistically sculpted, with them too much.

Apart from my Felicity, I have some Springfield Collection girls (which are still in kit form awaiting armatures, so while they are technically "here" in the house, they aren?t "here" as characters yet).I intend to play with them as I play with the AGs (I just won Addy... yaaay).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I'm just starting down the slippery slope of (GASP) other dolls ! Mostly from seeing all the beautiful handmade clothing on e-bay for the likes of Betsy McCall, Ann Estelle, Bleuette, etc etc. I don't know if I will try other 18 inch type dolls. Maybe. I do have a Patsy Ann, still NIB til I figure out where she fits in, and My Friend Jenny and an Ann Estelle friend Georgia, both just on display.

And I just started looking at Kish dolls. Oh dear, here I go.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a bunch of different types. I used to be an AG-only person but that crumbled with the LOF dolls last winter and I've been falling down the slippery slope from there! My 18" dolls that are AG-sized live with my AGs at their "houses" and are incorporated into the historical stories. My slim-bodied 18" dolls like Carpatina all are fantasy dolls and each has their own character I've developed/am developing. They only interact with the AGs when they visit from their other worlds, much as faeries and elves are reported to visit our world and interact with people, but mostly keep to themselves. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The rundown:
    Gotz Tess (rewigged) is Elizabeth and lives with Felicity
    Kirsten's cousin Anna is a Heidi Ott Beth
    Addy's friend Sarah is a LOF Laylie, and Harriet is a Heidi Ott Ellie that I'm going to rewig
    Samantha's friend Agatha is a Heidi Ott Maggie
    My 1940s girls are Susan (Gotz Katie) and Hannah (by Heidi Ott)

My fantasy collection are all original characters (or ones based in mythology), but they now include...
    LOF Violet, Carpatina Ana Ming and Julia, Stardust Classics Laurel and Alissa, three Just Pretend dolls, a Penney and Friends Penney doll, a MAC Megan, and a EuroGirl.

Hee-hee... I really should update my signature.

At any rate, I write little stories for all of them, play with them, display them, sometimes talk to them... pretty much just like my AGs. Truth be told, ever since I started my fantasy collection this year, I've found it to be the ultimate in fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast