Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Informations on the 60s (not OT)

SylvietheZombie

I recommend watching the movie (although it was originally a miniseries on TV, I believe) "The '60's". Even though the 1960's was such a diverse time in American history that it's almost impossible to capture it in a movie, this one comes pretty close. Also, get the soundtrack from that movie if you really want to hear some good '60's music, in my opinion. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck-- and please let us know what you are working on! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Shardae

I think 60's TV and I hear my mother's voice in my head saying "The Fugitive". They made a movie and a new series, but that original with David Janssen is, to her, the best. And I love Star Trek, I Dream of Jeannie, Green Acres and such.
    And Viet Nam/Vietnam can be either way.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think many of us are pretty sensitive about the Vietnam war.
    My DH spent some time there with the AirForce and whatever my personal feelings about the "police action" as they liked to call it,it should never be an afterthought.
    I'm sure no one meant to belittle the service of many brave men and women,but please understand that many of us who were of that age invested a lot of passion-one way or the other- in this war.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Err... I was one of the posters who mentioned the Vietnam war as an "also" and by no means wanted to offend anyone or make the war sound less important than it was.
    If I did, I sincerely apologize.

Since the original question was so general, I just listed what came into my mind about the 60s.
    Many things have been added by the other posters by now that I also know about, but just didn?t come to my mind last night - even though some were very important events such as Kennedy?s assassination.

You see, I did not experience the 1960s and the time of the Vietnam War with the protests and everything first-hand, so while I?m of course aware of it, it could not leave as much of an impact on me as it must on anyone who really lived through all of it.

I was born in 1970, I know about the 60s because I was a huge Beatles fan as a teenager and watched a lot of shows and movies from that time, so my knowledge of the 60s is really all second-hand.

But I see your point, Sakurako, and I agree.
    War is never an Also.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ November 23, 2006 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Jemima_Potts ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I already made a 60s hippie doll [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I'm posting pictures on Sunday!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Sakurako:
    Ummm. Scuse me but it wasn't "oh and also there was the Viet Nam war."

The war was not an Also.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I see you're pretty adamant about it, and that's cool, but you don't have to be so defensive about it, I don't think the OP meant to anger anyone... Oh, yeah, and if it's really THAT important, Vietnam is one word.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's lots of library books on the 60s! They'll have more (and better) information than anything on the Internet. Plus, they'll probably have pictures!

Or, have you tried Wikipedia? The Simple English version (which is a kid's version) has lots of information here, but you can also check the real Wikipedia site for a HUGE article.

Another good way to find out what people wore is to tune in to Nick at Night or (even better) TV Land and watch a show from the 1960s. Good choices include Andy Griffith, Green Acres, later episodes of Leave it To Beaver, or any episode of Star Trek where they beam down to a planet that mysteriously "looks like 20th century Earth, perhaps in the mid-1960s" [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

(Bet you never knew you could do research by watching television!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12