Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've done some research into the popularity of each American Girl and this is a probable schedule for the next movies:

2007: Kirsten
    2008: Kit
    2009: Addy
    2010: Josefina
    2011: Kaya

Nothing concrete yet, except Kirsten is definitely going to have her movie next year.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by kitswift22007:
    I've done some research into the popularity of each American Girl and this is a probable schedule for the next movies:

2007: Kirsten
    2008: Kit
    2009: Addy
    2010: Josefina
    2011: Kaya

Nothing concrete yet, except Kirsten is definitely going to have her movie next year.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you have any concrete info on Kirsten being the next movie? I thought next year would be either Addy or Kit. If your order is right, then the 3 minority girls will all be last, which is another blow to AG about equally represeting minorities, the first not introducing any minority Bitty Twins.

GreyMyst

I don't think they will do any movies for a couple years.

I think they will do historicals instead.

[img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 30, 2006 05:45 PM: Message edited by: SaraLovesHerDollys ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If they do a movie next year, I'd bet they do ONE of the girls from the 1800s. And if they don't do a black LE doll, I bet Addy gets the movie.

Then again, if they do a black LE doll, which at this point I'd probably put money on that happening, then Kirsten and Josefina would be good guesses. Both would produce a minoirity friend doll, too (I refuse to believe that AG would make Anna or Lisbeth instead of Singing Bird. Come on. It's Singing Bird.)

Question -- what's your data here?

ButtercupFlibble

I must disagree because from a business point of view it doesn't make sense. I don't think that some of the girls will ever get movies, much as I would love for them to. Wasn't there only a three movie contract anyway? Contracts can be extended, of course, but it's all about the money. If any of the others get movies and best friends, I think it will be Kit and Ruthie.

Kirsten doesn't have a best friend her age except for Singing Bird, who would be a lot like Kaya and Kaya does not sell very well (though if they want to change the books around a little, they COULD do that girl (Mary?) whose family goes on the Oregon Trail in Changes for Kirsten).

I would LOVE it if they made Harriet for Addy (she's more likely than Sarah because her family has money, so the doll can have more pretty dresses than Sarah would and would thus sell better), but it's probably not likely (though Addy is much more likely to get a movie than Josefina or Kaya).

As previously stated, Kaya just doesn't sell well and any friend of hers would look and dress an awful lot like her.

Josefina's best friend her age (and the friend dolls have to be about the same age or they couldn't share clothes) is the pueblo girl in Happy Birthday, Josefina! (forgive me for making mistakes with the names - I haven't read the books in about 6 years) and she is also Native American. (Granted, she would have a different wardrobe and different hair than Kaya would, but I think they'd be hesitant to make another native american doll considering Josefina doesn't sell all that well, either.)

GreyMyst

Originally posted by ButtercupFlibble:

Kirsten doesn't have a best friend her age except for Singing Bird, who would be a lot like Kaya and Kaya does not sell very well (though if they want to change the books around a little, they COULD do that girl (Mary?) whose family goes on the Oregon Trail in Changes for Kirsten).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've said it once, and I'll say it again, she doesn't have to look like Kaya. Native American vary as muc has any other group. Also her tribe would be differant with differant customs and stuff, and it would be modern enough she could wear some european influenced clothes and be accurate.

in 1855, a "treaty" that stole ginormus amounts of land from the Winnebago tribe in Minnesota happened, and while they never mentioned her tribe, this is what I always assumed made Singing Bird leave. They could elaborate on that, and it would make a good story.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/nativ...nebagohist.htm

Dark long hair in maybe a ponytail, differant face mold(jess maybe!), medium skin, and eyes like AGT26.

There are LOTS of possibilites.

Kaya doesn't sell that well because her hair is hard to manage and her collection is tiny. Singing Bird would also have a tie-in with Kirsten that would make Kirsten fans want her.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sara, not too sure on Mariana wearing modern clothes. I'm Pueblo and pretty much every elderly person wears Pueblo clothes. All our family photos (casual and formal) show people in their traditional clothes. They're still worn very frequently even today, almost 200 years after Josefina's time.

Otherwise, I agree. Kaya and Pueblo people are totally different. We have different facial features, completely different clothing and lifestyles.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Samantha a second movie and never got to the dolls of color.

(I don't like to say "ethnic dolls" because everyone has an ethnicity, not just folks of color. Plus, if someone told me to my face or I heard that someone described me as "ethnic" I would pretty offended.)

ButtercupFlibble

Sara, it sounds like you know a lot about Native American history. That's good!

The question, though, for a company like Mattel, is whether or not it would be different enough to an eight year old? Or for that matter, would it look different enough to the parent of that eight year old? They changed Elizabeth to a blonde because they thought dark haired Elizabeth would look too similar to redhead Felicity and that kids (or their parents) wouldn't want to buy them both. It also has the potential to hurt Kaya's sales more.

It has been a quite a while since I read the books (and I don't have them any more to check since we moved a couple years back and books are very expensive to move), but to the casual observer, Singing Bird looked an awful lot Kaya does and, like Kaya, she probably would not have needed many different outfits and wouldn't have a big collection.

And I'm not saying that I wouldn't want a Singing Bird doll. I think she'd be very pretty, especially the way you described her! I'm just saying that I doubt they will make her.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mary appears in two books and in the last book it does seem like she and Kirsten are pretty good friends, so I'd be okay with that- but I'd much rather see singing bird.

[QB]
    I would LOVE it if they made Harriet for Addy (she's more likely than Sarah because her family has money, so the doll can have more pretty dresses than Sarah would and would thus sell better), but it's probably not likely (though Addy is much more likely to get a movie than Josefina or Kaya).
    [QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">NO! Harriet and Addy aren't friends. Harriet treats her really poorly. That would be like if they made Eddie for Samantha. I would be very disappointed if they went for pretty dresses (which Addy has a lot of -because her mom works in a sewing shop) over a character who she is friends with.

Originally posted by colette denali:
    [QB]
    (I don't like to say "ethnic dolls" because everyone has an ethnicity, not just folks of color. Plus, if someone told me to my face or I heard that someone described me as "ethnic" I would pretty offended.)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've always been told I was crazy for not liking the term ethnic because I insisted I too had an ethnicity even though my skin was white. I'm glad other people think this way too.

GreyMyst

Originally posted by colette denali:
    Sara, not too sure on Mariana wearing modern clothes. I'm Pueblo and pretty much every elderly person wears Pueblo clothes. All our family photos (casual and formal) show people in their traditional clothes. They're still worn very frequently even today, almost 200 years after Josefina's time.

Otherwise, I agree. Kaya and Pueblo people are totally different. We have different facial features, completely different clothing and lifestyles.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was talking about Kirsten's friend. I really have no idea about Josefina's or Kaya's because I've never read beyond thier meet books.

It just peeves me that people say it CAN'T work, because it's like a self fufilling prophecy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast