Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

My daughter is really interested in Little House on the Praire since we started reading the picture books based on the stories. She wants a Laura doll and I'm thinking of making that my project for this year. Does anyone have some suggestions of different dolls (I'm annoyed with AG right now.) that might be nice to make Laura?

I've founds some patterns for some dresses and I'm working on quilt squares to make for her bed.

If any of you have made your own collection from that time period I would love to hear what you did!

Thanks,
    Tonya

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've made friend dolls for my AGs using Gotz Stolle dolls that I got inexpensively on ebay. They come in two versions--blonde, blue eyed; brunette, brown eyed--with the same facial features (sleep eyes, closed mouth smile, etc.). Using wigs, I've customized them and the results are better even than I'd hoped. BTW, the Gotz stolle dolls are 18", soft bodied, posable, etc. and the AG clothes fit them perfectly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tonya, one of my best friends is related to the real Laura Ingalls Wilder. Laura was her Great Great, more Great, Aunt.
    My friend's family tree is more Wilder.

But for the Laura doll, which I too had thought of doing, is good to do with AGOT # 13. Light brown hair with brown eyes. This is the closest AG doll to Laura (Melissa Gilbert). You can have her hair in braids, and make the similar dresses from the show. Also, Kirsten's wardrobe is perfect as it is the same era!

Hope that helps! take pics when Laura Ingalls is done!
    [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A lot of web stores are clearing out their old Magic Attic line to make room for a newer version of the dolls. Here is a site selling several, including a doll for under $30.

http://www.prillycharmin.com/magicattic/1amenu_mac.html

They're hard-bodied, though, and I'm not sure if they can wear AG clothes (I know AGs can't wear Magic Attic clothes for sure, but maybe Magic Attic can wear AG clothes?).

I think this is a great idea! I used a Gotz Little Sister to make Anne of Green Gables, and it worked so well. Maybe you could check your local bargain stores like TJ Maxx to see if there is something there that's useable.

Also, here's some good news for all of us Little House fans out there!

"The producer of the original award-winning show, Ed Friendly, tells us that he intends to launch a six-hour Little House mini-series on ABC next fall. HarperCollins will publish a special tie-in edition of Laura Ingalls Wilder's book Little House on the Prairie at the same time."
    (From <u>Parade</u>, Sunday, April 25, 2004, by Walter Scott)

I sure hope they mean a new series. Cool beans! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

<font color="#41356F" size="1">[ April 25, 2004 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

in real life Laura had reddish brown hair and blue/violet eyes. You could look for a Gotz doll on ebay or one of those Berenguer classmates dolls that Taffy has. Taffy's album is a good resource for looking at different types of Ag sized dolls!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My step-mom made a Laura doll for my neice. She used a Gotz little sister doll and made clothes using Kirsten's patterns and some other 18" doll clothes patterns (I can't remember which company, maybe Simplicity). The Gotz Little Sisters are no longer avalible, but the Precious Day collection is still being sold on some web sites. You can find both on e-bay. Both lines sell for $40 - $70, depending on the doll.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm going to check ebay to see what the dolls look like.

I am torn with what look to go for when making Laura. The illustrations in the books show the young Laura having short, more shoulder length hair. While on tv Laura had the long braids.
    Unless I could find a doll with the shoulder lenth hair, I'll probably go with long hair since I don't think I'm ready to attempt a rewigging!

I read a little bit about the Little House mini-series. It's supposed to stick a lot closer to the books from what I understand. I'm really excited about it.

Tonya

ponydreamer

My mother read all of the Little HOuse books to me when I was in 2nd grade. I can still remember laying on the coudh at night with my head in her lap. That was a REALLY long time ago!

Okay...here is my suggestion! Go to www.magiccabin.com and order a 16" doll kit! You can completely customize your doll. I made a Laura for my niece, and she loves her. They are soft dolls, but very lovely.

Or...there is a Liberty doll that I just love. At least I think that is her name....she has dark hair, blue eyes, and is made by Gotz. Does anyone know what doll I am talking about?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a great idea Jenny! I just went and checked out the website and the kits are very reasonable in price. How difficult are they to sew? My sewing skills are still a work in progress [img]wink.gif[/img] ! But I really like the idea of the doll being different.

I've got so many great ideas of things I'd like to make based on the books but not enough skills to make them all! LOL!

Tonya

P.S. Is the cutie in your icon your little playmate from a few weeks ago? How adorable!

<font color="#41356F" size="1">[ April 25, 2004 09:54 PM: Message edited by: dramamama321 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Which dolls you use depends on how accurate you want your Laura to be, but I would suggest considering the "Life of Faith" dolls and their wardrobes, which are beautiful and maybe even the right historical styles you need.
    The "Life of Faith" dolls can wear AG clothes, too. So you would have a little variety in clothes and accessories to choose from.

This is just an idea- I have both of the LF dolls and they are gorgeous.
    I would maybe consider using "Elsie" for Laura and "Millie" for her sister, Mary.

JMom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast