Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing ? - How do people design their own outfits.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have seen people who say that they have designed their own outfit or pattern. Do they use a pattern that is already created for adults and then size it way down to the dolls measurements? My mom is a great sewer and could make so many outfits if she knew where people started when creating their own outfits...or is this something you have to go to school to learn how to do? Any advice from people who have done this?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am far from an expert (probably either an advanced beginner or a very low-level intermediate), but I find the best method for starting out is to take an existing doll pattern and then modify it for your uses. If you want a dress, it's very easy to take one of the many existing dress patterns and make some changes. I try to find a pattern that's pretty close to what I'm looking for (hopefully at a $1 pattern sale at JoAnns [img]biggrin.gif[/img] ) and then modify it.

Of course, a real expert can actually "draft" her or his own patterns, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Good luck! I'll be watching this thread too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 30, 2006 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Kenshinchan:
    I am far from an expert (probably either an advanced beginner or a very low-level intermediate), but I find the best method for starting out is to take an existing doll pattern and then modify it for your uses. If you want a dress, it's very easy to take one of the many existing dress patterns and make some changes. I try to find a pattern that's pretty close to what I'm looking for (hopefully at a $1 pattern sale at JoAnns [img]biggrin.gif[/img] ) and then modify it.

Of course, a real expert can actually "draft" her or his own patterns, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Good luck! I'll be watching this thread too. [img]smile.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ August 30, 2006 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Kenshinchan ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm about the same level. I have a boatload of patterns! I have made two customs patterns and they are both based on other patterns, I just modified them a little. I have a set of BDUs listed in one of my albums that is a cusotm pattern; all i did was alter a shirt patterns to make it straight at the bottom and add all of the pockets. My fiance and I are both prior Air Force, so I pulled out a a couple of BDU tops and eyeballed my way through it. One thing I can also recommend when doing your own patterns is to use muslin while you are getting th pattern adjusting, that way you don't waste your money while trying to figure out what you want. Nethilia does her own patterns and has done some awesome work. She'd be a great resource.

Here are the BDUS:
    ed8531cf

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 30, 2006 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Gomunk ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To make patterns, you start with a basic pattern.
    Usually a plain bodice, skirt, and sleeve. If you're creative, you can use existing patterns as a basic, starting out with a plain bodice, and go from there. Pattern making is actually taught in schools that have dressmaking as a major. Now, I believe that's only available at the college level.
    If you're going to be really serious about this, there are probably books available that will walk you through the various steps. You need to know how to alter the pattern to get the result you want.
    I graduated from a vocational high school, over 40 years ago, where I studied dressmaking as my major....still had to have English, Algebra, and all that other good stuff. We had sewing class for 4 periods a day. We also had patternmaking, for 2 full years....it was a requirement. It's not difficult, especically if you're good in math.
    When I make a piece of clothing for myself, or anyone else, I first measure the body that's going to wear the garment. Then I alter the pattern to those measurements. That's the way you get clothing to fit. How many times have you heard someone say they made something, or tried to make something, and it didn't fit?
    As someone suggested, muslin is a good thing to use to make a sample. Paper towels are also good, and cheap, especially if you're talking doll clothes.
    I'm working on a special order outfit for a board poster, right now, and I used paper towels to make my pattern. You can even sew through them just like fabric.
    Have your mom check out the adult education classes where you live. This is the time of year classes would be offered, and I've seen patternmaking offered in the past.

Donna Cotterman

My father taught me to sew. I draw the design using measurements of the doll or person. There are several wonder papers that can be used for making patterns or just tissue paper. Cut and sew... if it doesn't look the way you want... alter until it does.

Once you get your pattern then cut the fabric.

You could also go to the library and check out some pattern books... copy a basic pattern for the 18" doll and then embellish it to the style you want. Use the pattern as a starting point and play with the tissue until you get what you want.

Dad used to say that I created an outfit like a chef cooks... a pinch here and a dash there. Thank goodness no one ever knew .. that it's just something I like to do for fun. I guess you could say.. that I play at sewing and sometimes it turns out nice. [img]smile.gif[/img] ^j^ Mrs.C.

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ August 31, 2006 01:54 AM: Message edited by: Mrs. C. ]</font>

Felicity_Fan85

I'm not a good sewer anyway, but one time I looked at a pattern for doll clothes and had no clue how to cut it or sew it. I usually make my own by looking at other doll outfits to get ideas and then attempting to draw out my own patterns from it. Sometimes it works and other times...well...at least it's practice. I made a simple skirt over the summer and I took the fleece AGOT jacket that Jerseycow6 let me borrow because I was going to attempt to make my own of it but never got the material but I made a pattern for it and am going to try making a button down pj top. It was the pattern for pj pants I couldn't get. So hopefully my mom makes that part.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have only altered a few patterns, but I found the book Doll's Dressmaker by Venus Dodge a good help in explaining pattern alterations for dolls. It also includes many basic sewing instructions in case you have patterns that don't have any.

That and lots of cheap muslin and practice.

Now if my 3 little monkeys would only give me the time to sew, I have soooo many ideas, and loads of inspiration.

Jen

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The first patterns I ever bought for AG dolls were the ones Pleasant Company sold. I don't recommend them for beginners just because the seam allowance doesn't allow for any error in a beginner. But to me, the finished garments fit the AG dolls better than any other pattern I've found on the market.

To make my own patterns, I start by drawing a sketch of the outfit I want to make. Then I look through all my purchased patterns to see if there is a piece that might be a good starter piece for my garment.

I'll take a couple purchased pattern pieces to use as a "rough draft" for my garment and lay them on paper. Then I'll draw around the purchased pattern and make up my own pattern piece. There's usually a lot of drawing and erasing until I get the paper pattern to look like it will work.

Next I cut the paper pattern and pin it to the doll. Paper is rather stiff and doesn't pin neatly to a doll but it gives me a general idea of whether the piece is wide or long enough for the doll.

I always test out my pattern pieces by sewing the garment in muslin first. Sometimes I'll redraw the pattern and sew a garment 3 or 4 times before getting it the way I want it.

For example, I'll take the sleeve pattern piece from a Pleasant Company pattern and carefully compare it to a Butterick and McCalls sleeve pattern. Then I'll figure out what I want my sleeve to look like and draw my own pattern.

Julia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Neat topic! I have the Pleasant Company patterns for Felicity, Kirsten, Samantha, and Molly. Nearly everything I've made has been mixed and matched or modified from these pattern pieces. I found that once I got the hang of sewing and understood how the garments were constructed, it was really easy to modify the size or shape of certain pattern pieces to get a different look, like with a sleeve or bodice style.

I have made my own patterns from scratch as well. I do it mostly by trial and error; I sketch out a pattern on paper, cut it out and fit it to the doll as best I can. Fabric hangs differently on the doll than paper does, so once I cut out the fabric pieces I usually have to do some more cutting and pinning to get the outfit to look right. It takes a long time, but my system usually turns out well in the end. [img]smile.gif[/img] I LOVE to sew...there's nothing better than being able to actually create all the pretty dresses you dream up in your head. [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Inactive Member aero_AGdoll_lover's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have the Pleasant Company patterns for all the dolls (except of course Kit, and whatever doll was made after that.)I love them because they fit so well! But I have tried putting together patterns from books and stuff. Like if I wanted a long sleeve dress to have short sleeves, I would take the short sleeves from one pattern and replace the long sleeves with them. Its pretty easy and if I can do even that, then im sure you can because Im a TERRIBLE seamstress! Lol! [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]confused.gif[/img] . But anyway, I would go look at Jo-ann's for some simple patterns that you can chage or mix and match with eachother.

this is a great topic!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast