Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you add to Kaya's collection?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been thinking about this for awhile. A lot of HBers (myself included) think Kaya only has half a collection. So what would you add?

I don't know what I would add. I haven't read the Kaya books in awhile, and I don't really remember them that well.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's a hard one, I think that's why her collection is smaller.

They slept nude, so you already have her nightwear, you probably just didn't know it.

They didn't have furniture. She has a fire, a teepee, a horse, pony and dog.

I think I would like to have some kind of trunk for her to put her stuff in, I don't know what they would have had, probably not much.

I'd like to see more of the tools they used, I'm not sure if a 10 year old would have owned them, but it would be interesting.

She has two outfits (probably more than most had) and a cape for winter. I think that's why they make the clothes of today for her. Maybe we could have more of that?

It's interesting to learn about, but I think AG had a hard time coming out with a lot of things and still portraying her accurately.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's the thing...I totally agree with the accuracy part of AG's planning (like the previous post says). Carol is no doubt right about them not having much. However, IMHO I doubt whether Kirsten really could have had so many outfits as a pioneer girl...I mean, if you look at her collection, she has a TON of clothes! So does Addy, who also probably wouldn't have had that much in reality. Samantha may be the only doll who would actually have had so many things. So since AG has been fudging the accuracy a little with their other collections, why not do the same with Kaya and shower her with good things??? [img]wink.gif[/img] We would buy them!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    So what would I add??? More arts/crafts items, more food, and more variations on typical clothing of that time. I'm sure they had special occasions just like the other AG girls, so why not add special occasion outfits and food? Just a thought...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Leggings..The girl needs a pair of pants for crying out loud!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually I don't think that Samantha would be the only doll that was wealthy - I think Felicity was too.

I think it was really clever how they made Addy's mother a seamstress - otherwise she wouldn't have much at all.

Kirsten has a lot of clothes if you have been collecting from the beginning, but they never have had a lot of clothes for her out at one time. They keep retiring things.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img] Here's how I reason things for Kirsten and Addy: they grew quickly. So while they have a lot of outfits and more than girls in their circumstances normally would have, it is only because they grow like weeds and needed replacement items. How's that for rationalization? LOL.

Personally, I don't have everything for either Kirsten or Addy and never will, from sheer preference and a mild attempt to keep their collections realistic to their circumstances. Lissie, Elizabeth, and Molly have far more, but those are DD's dolls and they are quite spoilt. [img]redface.gif[/img]

So I think Kaya should get several more outfits simply from the standpoint of a girl growing out of things. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What about more examples of nature? For example, dried herbs or plants that Kaya would have used a lot. Or maybe pretend live plants.

And also, they could have more books for her. Things like "Nez Perce myth and folklore" - of course, it'd have to be the ones that the Nez Perce are okay with sharing, since a lot of tribes don't like their myths and folklore to become known outside of themselves.

What about a mat that looks like grass that you can put beneath her, to simulate the outdoors? Or several mats for snow, grass, bare packed dirt, riverside, etc.

Or an alternate style dress that another girl might wear, so that you can have TWO Kayas that aren't dressed the same way (of course, it would still by a lot alike, but the detailing might be different).

I think a lot of the problems with Kaya's collection isn't so much that it's difficult to think of things she would have had, but that many tribes are fiercely protective of their traditions and culture and don't always want everyone else to know. One of my favorite authors, Leslie Marmon Silko, got a lot of criticism for her books which reveal many many aspects of Laguna (one of the tribes that live in the pueblos of New Mexico) tradition and daily life. If you're older, I do recommend <u>Ceremony</u> for a wonderful read. It's probably a bit difficult to properly understand without a good background in literature and/or folklore, though.

[img]graemlins/star.gif[/img] --- KERI --- [img]graemlins/star.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would LOVE for Kaya to have dresses from other tribes as well. I have Cherokee blood, so I would totally buy a Cherokee doll costume. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] Also, I'd love AG to make an Indian sari for Kaya...not that she's East Indian, but for those who want to make her so. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

She needs leggings
    a digging stick
    stickball game
    shinny game
    rocks to arrange, after all her name does mean "She who arranges rocks"!
    Rose hips to offer the stick people
    items to trade Spotted Owl (friend from Kaya and the River Girl)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think they could make her quite a few more outfits. Just because they are made out of the same basic materials doesn't mean they all have to look the same way.

Look at how Kirsten's are almost all the same pattern, but different fabric makes a difference.

They could have different sashes, beadwork, etc. on the dresses and perhaps a set with leggings, as suggested.

I'd love to see backdrops and ground-covers too, and that would probably be good for lots of different dolls if it was a generic set of nature backdrops (summer, spring, winter, fall, etc.). I'd love to buy that.

What about a separate fire and stuff to cook with? I want a fire, but I don't want the tipi. I'm not as familiar with the Nez Perce, but I know tribes in our local area had cooking baskets that were tightly woven. You put rocks in the fire and then into a basket of water to cook with. And they could give Kaya a set to catch the fish however this was traditionally done (I think they actually used trap systems, but I can't remember).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast