Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am having a Samantha moment. You know in her Christmas story where she is afraid to ask for a doll.
    I really want to reward myself with a doll. I am in the process of buying a business and have been doing a lot of extra work. A couple of friends and family members want to pool together and do something nice for me. Whenever they ask what I want I say that I will have to think about it but I really want an AGT doll, but I am too shy and embarrassed to ask, thinking that it is a silly way to spend money.
    I wish I had a Cornelia type who would just know, but so far nobody knows that I would really like another doll rather than some gift certificate too some over priced restaurant. Sigh.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How about a gift certificate to AG. I don't think it's wrong to ask for a doll, better to get something you really like then something you really can't use. If they're asking go for it.

13Pumpkins

Don't be embarrassed. If they are wanting to do something for you, just say, "would it be okay if you guys got me a AGT #??, that's what would make me happiest."

thepidget

Originally posted by loveAG:
    How about a gift certificate to AG. I don't think it's wrong to ask for a doll, better to get something you really like then something you really can't use. If they're asking go for it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with loveAG.

They want to do something nice for you, and it will mean a lot more to you if you get an AG rather than something you don't really want.

I hope you get your doll!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When people spend their money on someone they care about, I think they want their money to go towards something that the person really wants.

I was uncomfortable telling my family that I wanted AG, but when I finally told them, they were grateful.

Usually my birthdays have been passed over, but this year my family knew what I wanted and they had so much fun giving it to me. I think in the past, they didn't know what to get for me, so if they did get a gift it would be something they casually picked up like a card or a box of candy.

This year, their gifts were given with joy and they were as excited as I was. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You can see the two lovely dolls and the dresses my dd gave me in my siggy pic.
    I would say that it pays to tell people what you like. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ June 07, 2006 09:05 PM: Message edited by: MaryCarly ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can understand feeling shy about saying you want an AG doll. But I think your friends would be so happy to give you something you actually really desire than something you don't.

You could say something like "well this may sound silly but I would really love an American Girl Samantha doll. For some reason those dolls really appeal to me and I would treasure it all the more knowing it came from my dear friend".

I bet it works!

Brenda

fly-away

Originally posted by *The*Paranoid*Pumpkin*:
    Don't be embarrassed. If they are wanting to do something for you, just say, "would it be okay if you guys got me a AGT #??, that's what would make me happiest."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think it would be better if you showed them the doll in the cataloge, I never knew what the numbers were until I found this board!

I also think that asking for a doll is fine. I'm always shy when I tell my friends I collect dolls because I'm afriad they'll think I'm stupid. Then I find out that my friend loves American Girl or collects dolls form around the world or something! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the help and words of encouragement.

I am just afraid they will say but you already have an AG doll. Why do you need another? Or you are how old?

I am going to try and get up the courage.