Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have some old stereoscope cards and would like to scan and print them on card-stock so that they will work with Samantha's stereoscope. What are the dimensions of the cards the stereoscope comes with?

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

3 3/8" x 1 5/8"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ann, that's perfect...thank you so much! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] I'm going to go make some right now! I'm trying to keep this secret from my mom, but I bet she'll say, "Hey...why has my stereoscope been moved?!"

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ May 20, 2004 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was sorting through the stereoscope cards looking for good ones to scan, and noticed something interesting...the ones we have are copyrighted 1900, 1903, and 1925. This might also be a fun toy for Kit collectors. [img]smile.gif[/img] Ours was handed down through the generations and my mom loved to play with it as a little girl in the '40s and '50s.

The older cards are on thick brown card and the newer ones are on thin white card. The older ones are marked: "The Universal Photo Art Co" (the same brand as the stereoscope; I wonder if they came with it). Some of the "newer" cards are hand-painted. My favorites are of children: one is a girl with a huge bow in her hair, holding a basket. In the basket is a little poodle. The other is of a girl and boy feeding a very large sheep named Molly. Molly is standing up as high as she can reach, with her front feet against the girl's stomach. I like the ones of people because it's interesting to see how much clothing has changed.

These are nice little collectibles, and from what I've heard on Antiques Roadshow they really aren't worth much. So if you're into antiques, these are fun and--unlike toys of today--they last forever! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ May 20, 2004 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think they're awesome too. It's just too bad that the doll sized ones have the eyes too close together for a regular person to see the 3-D effect.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It all sounds like it will be such a great gift for your Mom, Robin! [img]graemlins/present.gif[/img] Good luck getting everything copied and put together. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Ann (Leia at heart):
    I think they're awesome too. It's just too bad that the doll sized ones have the eyes too close together for a regular person to see the 3-D effect.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey Ann, that's an idea. Would it be possible to enlarge the AG pics to look at them with a real stereoscope? Is the printing on the little ones very clear?

Julia

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It looks like, from the dimensions Ann gave me, the cards are *exactly* at 50% scale...which means they're sized really well for a My Twinn and maybe a little too big for AG. It would be a cinch to scan the little ones and try them out on a full-sized stereoscope, by enlarging them 200%. I can try it if you like (once I get the cards). The only problem is that when you enlarge something on my dad's scanner it looks a little digitized.

It's easy to tell if they will really work. Check the two pictures' edges on the left and right. One will show more of the picture on the left and less on the right, the other will show more on the right and less on the left. (I hope this makes sense! [img]smile.gif[/img] )

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ May 21, 2004 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Melissa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Ann (Leia at heart):
    It's just too bad that the doll sized ones have the eyes too close together for a regular person to see the 3-D effect.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But at least we can entertain family and friends by trying really hard to get it to work! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just got the stereoscope today, and can report without increasing the size that the cards probably aren't taken from real stereoscope cards. If they were, the pictures would be a little jagged from one another (one would show more of the photo area on the left, the other more on the right). Instead, the photos on either side are identical to one another.

Another historical innacuracy is that the holder for the cards, on real stereoscopes, was set in a way that it could be slid back or forward, since each person "sees" the effect in a different field of his/her vision. When I use my family's stereoscope, for example, I have to have it one way, and when I hand it to another person they have to set it another way. On the AG version it's fixed with screws.

Other than that, it's beautiful, down to the velvet-trimmed face section and the metal "engraving." I love it, and I'm so excited for my mom to get this for Christmas for her My Twinn! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] I was also able to make several real cards from her old stereoscope cards to make it even more special. Thanks for letting me know the dimensions, Ann!