Thread: Insurance for your doll collection?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Has anyone out there gotten insurance riders for their doll collections?

If I ever manage to get "all things Molly" and then all of the other dolls that I want (even with their minor collections), I will have quite a bundle invested.

My worry will be that my dh will actually find out what all this stuff was worth!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

" ... DH find out exactly what they're worth."

I Love It! My poor husband finally learned never to ask! Guess that's one reason we decided to separate ....... Oh well.

I know I plan on inventoring all of the stuff I have stored for Sarah and telling the insurance company. Not sure whether they'll require a rider or not - I know it depends upon the monetary amount, and I don't know what that is - I know things like jewelry need a rider, but my grand piano doesn't.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You could talk to you agent about adding collectibles to your Valuable Items endorsement, but but you probably don't need it. The primary reason for adding a valuable items endorsment is so that your property is covered if you lose it, rather than have it damaged or stolen from your home. The items are also covered if they are not in you home. That is why you would put jewlery on a a rider, put not a piano. Chances are, you are not going to take the piano out of your house or drop it down your drain. If you took a doll out of your home and something happend to it, its cost would most likely be less than your deductible, so you wouldn't even put in a claim. Also the valuable items endorsement covers single items of high value rather than a group of items which altogether have a high value. Your collection is made up of many single items, and most of them are under $150 each, and are replaceable. In the event of a total loss, from flood or fire for example, you would be covered under your general personal property coverage. You may want to check what your total personal property coverage is, and increase that if it doesn't actually cover replacing absolutely everything that you own.

<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ May 23, 2004 03:24 AM: Message edited by: ubarose ]</font></font>

<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ May 23, 2004 03:25 AM: Message edited by: ubarose ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the info, sounds like maybe I don't need a separate rider. I'll have to ask dh about the policy, he handled that. At one time I was concerned about my Longaberger collection, however, that has dwindled down and I sold off a lot of it for guess what....American Girl, and ok, well some Thomas stuff too! It's too funny, I end up trading one collectible for another! (well, those little baskets just kind of sit on a shelf, but even "I" can play with the A/G and Thomas too! LOL!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ubarose,
    Thanks for the explanation. I am 60 and do have a rider on a couple pieces of jewelry but it is REALLY an expensive policy and there is a large deductible. I never thought about all of the "so-called" collectible stuff that I have.
    I collect MacKenzie-Childs dishes which are astronomically expensive and I was told that they are all covered in the event of fire, etc. I do not think that a real burglar is going after the doll stuff or my dishes. They usually go after jewelry, electronics and things that they can easily dispose of.
    If your dolls turn up missing. Just look at which one of your friends has a large smile on their face and does not have time to do anything anymore!!!!!! She would have your dolls, lol.
    Thanks for the simple explanation........... I always have a hard time trying to explain this rider thing.......

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, ubarose is right; you wouldn't need a rider from what I understand. The only thing we have a rider for is my violin, because obviously it goes in and out of the house a lot. We didn't purchase a rider for my engagement/wedding ring set because it was so expensive, but OF COURSE within 6 months of getting our renters' insurance, the ruby fell out of the engagement ring and it was not covered by the insurance because it was lost and we don't know where. If we had only gotten the rider, the money would've been peanuts compared to the replacement cost of a ruby (we didn't get a new ruby because it was just too much--I got an amethyst instead). But it's like gambling. If I had lost the ruby years and years later, having the rider probably wouldn't have saved us anything.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks ubarose! That now explains a lot to me. I know I've always had jewelry riders, but never realized why until now!