Thread: Removing a wig

Ashley1972

I think someone said before that you can use a hairdryer to the hair and it melts the glue.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Is there a trick to this or do you just need strength? I have no trouble getting the wigs off my AGs but i can't get the old wig off my Just Pretend doll. I actually hurt myself trying which is a painful reminder of what bad shape i'm in. Is there any product that loosens the glue?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Use a regular spoon and a pair of pliers. No water or heat. Start at the bottom of the back and use the pliers to work your way underneath the elastic under the hairline. Lift enough of the elastic to work the spoon under the edge of the wig, with the bowl of the spoon curving down against the head. Pull and slide the spoon along, lifting the wig and pushing the spoon against the doll's head as you go. The most glue will be over each ear, and you may have to use the pliers again and sacrifice the line of hair that is glued down under the wig in that area. There may also be more glue at the center of the front of the head. When you have all the edges lifted, you have one major hurdle left: the big spot of glue at the top of the doll's head. If you want to keep the wig you're removing, be careful at this point and gently pull with your hands, wiggle the wig back & forth and eventually you'll be able to get the wig off.

To put a new wig on, put glue around the circle at the top of the doll's head. Turn the wig inside out so the elastic edges are up, pushing the hair out of the way. Press the center of the wig down onto the glue and hold it down with the heel of your hand. With the other hand (you're clamping the doll's legs between your legs at this point), gently pull the elastic edges down and make sure the wig is where you want it, properly centered on the doll's head. If the wig has bangs and they're too long, don't worry. The important part is to make sure the elastic fits correctly over the ears and all across the back of the head and that the wig cap itself is smooth, not wrinkled anywhere.

If you have patience, leave the wig as it is to dry. I have none, so after about 15 minutes I start to turn up small patches of the elastic and tuck a little glue along the inside of it. I usually glue over the ears and at the nape of the neck. I use Aleene's tacky glue, with not much of the end cut off where the glue comes out. This gives me a lot of control over how much glue gets applied and where it goes. If you're carefully holding the hair out of the way, you shouldn't get any glue on it.

Hope this helps!