Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Restringing

  1. #1
    Inactive Member J9S's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2006
    Posts
    217
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So I've begun contemplating the idea of trying to restring one of my dolls on my own. I'm super nervous about it, but came to the conclusion if I screw up I can pay someone else to do it right.

    Besides, if I never try it I'll never learn. But how do you know if elastic iss cloth covered or not? For some reason I seem to have always thought it always was cloth covered...but I want to make sure I'm right.

    I found this on the hancocks webpage.
    http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shoppi...2F8%22+elastic

    Would that work? If not, where can I find what I need without having to order it?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Ks4treasures's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We have been trying to do the same. I can tell you right now that is not the right elastic. We have already taken Rose apart so I would know what it looks like. I have been to two towns, two sewing store, and one Micheals craft store and I have not been able to find the right elastic or even anything close.

    I am sure someone will respond and tell us where to buy it!!!

    We gave up yesterday and put Rose back together anyway...DD was tired of waiting. Poor Rose had been in a walmart sack for 2 weeks!!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member American_Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    918
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We found the correct elastic at Hancock fabric. It is sold off of a spool for about 71 cents a yard. Any elastic that was not fabric covered would probably just feel like a rubber band. If it is soft, it is fabric covered.The elastic I bought is a little thinner than a pencil, and soft and cloth covered.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member American_Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    918
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It may be a few days before I get back to the city that has it, but I could pick up a yard for each of you and mail it to you, if you need me to.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member p69's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2006
    Posts
    65
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Janine_Nicole, how many yards do you need from that tipe of elastic?

    I got mine from wholeseller about 15$ for 144 yards, so it will not be a problem to send you some :-). To send, not to sell!
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member American_Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    918
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How sweet of you P69!

    Here are some pics of the type of cord for restringing.
    e31f965d
    cdf6f53e

  7. #7
    Inactive Member p69's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2006
    Posts
    65
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    O, noooo ...
    mine is not the same ...
    so sorry!
    Mine is flat, so if flat is OK, I can send.
    In Walmart they have elastic like the picture.

  8. #8
    lovetheoldstuff
    Guest lovetheoldstuff's Avatar

    Post

    Are you talking about restringing the neck string or doing all of the legs and arms? If you are looking for neck string replacement, I think that the original string is really uncoated candle wicking. BUT, I have never been able to find any that matches yet.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member TaffyCheerful's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2002
    Posts
    544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It is supposed to be round. It needs to fit through the ferrule and be securely crimped. The flat stuff won't work for that...

    The pictures on the Restringing page show how it is supposed to look... The pictures provided above by AmericanMommy are really good close-ups of it.

    Taffy

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 10, 2006 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Taffy Cheerful ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •