Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haul! A serious piece to my AoD proto collection...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks yas

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

ashgypsum1

ashgypsum2

Palisades, Army of Darkness, Ash, PAINTED gypsum model

To say this is a rare piece is an understatement, here is some info on it...

"What is it?

A factory produced and PAINTED 105% Tooling Model of the Ash figure, from the upcoming line of 4-inch scale Army of Darkness Action Figures from Palisades. This auction includes the special hand-made base shown!

What?s a 105% Tooling Model?

A 105% Tooling Model, also called a ?Gypsum Model?, is the first item we look at in the pre-tooling process. It is the factory interpretation of the Sculpting Model we send them at the start of the project overseas. This item is ultimately reviewed by the Product Development department to approve it for the cutting of the steel molds. Generally it is constructed of a resin-style material, not plastic, and most of the parts separations and joints are cut in to create a ?working? mock-up of the final product.

If any changes are required prior to tooling they are made based on this review and in some cases a second ?105? is sent for a new round of reviews, but that is not common. Typically this is the rarest item from the pre-production process because the factory tends to destroy their copy in the tooling process and generally only one of these items is ever sent here for review and in many cases they are sent back AFTER review for the factory to use, which is why you don?t see these offered very much. Not every product even has a sample of this stage of the process here in the U.S. if an on-site review is conducted in Asia by a Palisades representative.

It is called a 105% Tooling Model because it is 5% larger than the actual product, due to the 5% shrinkage that occurs when the molds are created.

What makes this ?105? so special?

Here are a few key things to note about this 105?s characteristics

-Painted 105% models are extremely rare. Basically because of the expense involved to produce them. But occasionally there is a need that outweighs the expense. In the case of Army of Darkness, we had a bunch of non-posable 2-ups, 8 inches tall, that we had been showing.

But as the summer con season approached, we wanted to be able to show the size of these figures and just how much articulation these guys actually had. So we paid the factory to create a few painted 105?s and we mounted them to flocked Muppet bases for a special display that toured at all of our shows.

This is a one of a kind Army of Darkness sample!

-Note that this has the CANCELED Bruce Campbell likeness and not the final version that was used for the toy!

-These items are extremely fragile and MOST of the parts are glued in place or broken and then glued. This is NOT a posable toy, but a finely crafted and beautifully painted statue of the posable toy that can move in a few spots.

-Some of the pieces are incorrect and many of them will be revised before the final tools are constructed.

-These types of samples are cast in resin and not plastic and do not have any factory etched legal lines or other plastic production characteristics."

I also got this...

lunchproto1

It is a prototype of the Palisades Collector's Club lunchbox, that their exclusive club figures come packaged in. It has the logo placed horizontally, instead of vertically like the actual one will be. In other words, the real version will open like a book.

I got this for the Collectors Club prototype figures which I got previously, and when produced, will come in one of these lunchboxs...

lunchproto2

Needless to say, I won't bother to join the club to get this set now.

<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ December 13, 2004 01:08 PM: Message edited by: TCM Hitchhiker ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can't imagine how much that set you back.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jiminy Cricket!!

yer going through AoD stuff like I go through beer! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

that's a damn sweet score!
    cost a mint, I bet, too...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lol, Peeker, I don't know about that.

Certainly wasn't cheap, but I just had to have it.

This brings my AoD proto count to 20. (Not including the lunch box, but counting the collectors club figures as two.) Plus a bunch of accessories. I don't have anymore coming right now, due to low cash, due to the holiday season. [img]frown.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And here is how the display currently looks...

aoddisplay1

With my splitting Ash 2up next to them, in a McToys fishtank (until I get a better display case for him)

aoddisplay2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12