Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There isn't enough space in this forum for me to explain even HALF of the shit that I go through, to create a custom......

But I will tell ya this : 95% of it is all technique that McFarlane uses in the design studio! [img]graemlins/smarty.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i agree with porthos.....if you have to use sculpey, go with super sculpey....but if you can go with 2 part epoxy putty, i highly sugguest "apoxie sculpt" i think it's made by a company called AVES you can get it at a lot of online taxidermy and fx supply places. It holds awesome detail, it sticks to anything, so no need to glue the piece down to the base figure, and its practically bullet proof, where as sculpey would be brittle for things like hair or accessories....there are other epoxy putties like plumbers putty, propoxy, etc, but those are harder to work with and hold less detail......but all of them (epoxy putties and sculpey) are easy to paint on top of and don't need any special sealers or primers

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Peeker:
    nice to see ya, Cuddles! [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nice to see you too, Shmiley!! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Nice to see all yous guys!! [img]cool.gif[/img] Thanks for the tips!

So, Super Sculpy is the stuff to use. Is the regular stuff no good? I got a whole box of it for my birthday, so I wanna use it up! ...Unless it's crap that doesn't harden well or something!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by spfxwizard01:
    i agree with porthos.....if you have to use sculpey, go with super sculpey....but if you can go with 2 part epoxy putty, i highly sugguest "apoxie sculpt" i think it's made by a company called AVES you can get it at a lot of online taxidermy and fx supply places. It holds awesome detail, it sticks to anything, so no need to glue the piece down to the base figure, and its practically bullet proof, where as sculpey would be brittle for things like hair or accessories....there are other epoxy putties like plumbers putty, propoxy, etc, but those are harder to work with and hold less detail......but all of them (epoxy putties and sculpey) are easy to paint on top of and don't need any special sealers or primers
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm...You need to be able to work fast with that stuff though, don't ya?

<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ March 28, 2006 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Shypappy ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I couldn't pass on this idea... I just bought the second figure, and will see what *I* can come up.

Pappy, you are a genius for coming up with this!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well most epoxy clays like plumber's putty or propoxy 20 set real fast, but apoxie sculpt sets in about starts to set in 2-3 hours so its plenty of time, you can also continue to add to it, you don't have to do it all in one shot, like if you want to work on just his arm until its exactly how you want it, then do the other arm...you don't have to mix up one big batch and get it all done at the same time. also apoxie sculpt is a lot easier to work with because it won't stick to your hands or tools as much as other epoxies, and you can clean it up or smooth it out or clean your tools with regular water before it hardens........
    as for regular sculpey, it cracks a lot easier especially in thin spots and doesn't hold detail aswell....so its good for other sculptures and stuff, but not really good to put on top of an existing figure.....both super sculpey and regular sculpey has to be baked, if you put it in the oven you'll probably destroy the base figure, and if you use a hairdryer it will probably warp the plastic.......so if you can get your hands on some apoxie sculpt, that would be your best bet

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Cool

That's a great concept Pappy....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by That Chet Guy:
    Well, I couldn't pass on this idea... I just bought the second figure, and will see what *I* can come up.

Pappy, you are a genius for coming up with this!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">SWEET!! [img]cool.gif[/img] I'm so glad someone's gonna do it!
    We've been really busy since the move, so I haven't been workng on the sculpting, but I plan to get back on it soon.

Can't wait to see what you're doin, Chet!! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice to see you back, my friend. And yes, the pics will go up when I'm done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12