Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I've recently been looking to go back to work for the next year or so, since it looks like I'll still be going to school only part time. My last job was a supervisor at UPS, which is something I'd never do again. At this point, I'm really only looking for some sort of manual labor job without a ton of responsibility and hassle. I've had a bunch of varied jobs over the years, but one job I've never tried before is kitchen / restaurant work - you know, the "behind the scenes stuff", washing dishes, cooking, spitting in people's food, whatever. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has had experience in this field and what they thought of it. I've never been big on customer service and the jobs I've had in management were really more involved then I wanted them to be. Any advice or other suggestions are appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've worked in some kitchens, and I will never do so again unless I am forced to.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ditto! Kitchen work has to be among the worst jobs imaginable (for me anyways). It's hot as fuck in the kitchen, bad air, tight, stressful, it can stink and washing the plates & cutlery is also great if you like cleaning up other peoples shit after them!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Cool

Dude, you will never escape responsability, it's already in all jobs from the easiest to the hardest. Now, some people handle responsability better than others.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd advise janitorial before kitchen work.
    I've done both, and janitorial is MUCH less stressful.
    pays aboot the same.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Cool

Originally posted by Peter Peeker:
    I'd advise janitorial before kitchen work.
    I've done both, and janitorial is MUCH less stressful.
    pays aboot the same.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why go Janitorial ? ok, any job is good no matter what but from being a supervisor to a lesser position.....

Sometimes I used to ask that same question too. My job is REALLY stressfull, and there were times I wanted to work in a National Park, without the stress. But with the years I have adapted. Now, if I don't have a STRESS I can hanle or challenge me, I feel weird.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the job I have now, I have FAR more responsibilities than I did at my last one.
    I also make much better money.

but sometimes, I wish I still had the old one.
    not often, but once in a while.

usually when my supposed 30-hour week turns into a 60-hour week, and I don't get paid for the extra 30.

-megalithanod

Having done the job as Quick cook and grill manager to put my self through college - I would definately recommend NOT going that route.

If it is responsibility you are trying to get away from, food service isn't the job. You are responsible for the area, making sure that everyone's meal is to there liking, even if they didn't tell you what they wanted in the first place, and making sure the manager doesn't have to listen to a complaining customer because you fixed it wrong (or right and they just didn't like it).

I had more stress and aggrivation working quick service food than I did when I was working on machines that could blow up or eat the calcium out of my bones if I screwed up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Out of all the dumb jobs I've had, I would recommend "never taking orders from high-schoolers again" as my only criteria.

My first week out of college I picked up a pizza delivery gig while I looked for an office job.

They hired me as a driver. The first day I'm in there, the high school kids start ordering me around to make pizzas.
    They're like "FUCK, don't you know how to make fucking pizza?!"
    And I'm like "Look ass lick, I was hired to drive this shit around. Fuck off"

But because the kid had been there two months, he was like manager or something. Good thing I found a job relatively quick, and was able to leave after I guess a month.

Never taking orders from high schoolers again.

Mr. Stinkhead

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

be a laborer for a roofing crew~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast