Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wich band brought you to grown up music (when you stopped listening to kids album)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

I never listened to "Kids records", I was raised in a house where classical music was played constantly, as my father was a classical pianist.
    The first rock song to ever trip my trigger was 'Not to Touch the Earth' by the Doors. My older sister had the 'Waiting for the Sun' album and that song was the most frenetic, wild song they ever wrote..I LOVED it. MY first actual band
    was Alice Cooper, followed shortly by Black Sabbath, I was about 10 or 11 I guess. I was always into dark heavy stuff afterwords and absolutely hated 'pop'. I guess you could say I was one of the sick ones for my age group. forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by kerbythepurplecow:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Tortricidae:
    I started off listening to classical music when I was little (about 6 or 7) and the beatles when I was 9. the band that got me into the kind of music I listen to now was stabbing westward, and I first heard them when I was about 14.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stabbing Westward rocks. I think I discovered them at about the same age. Now that I think about it, I still haven't ever gotten around to picking up their very first albumn. Wither, Blister, Burn + Peel was great and still gets spinnage. I was saw them at a show with Sevendust, that was great. (Also Candlebox, Fuel, Lollipop Lust Kill, Gravity Kills, and Kid Rock LOL).</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you should get Ungod. it's a lot darker and harder than wbb+p. it's a shame that they broke up, but in case you didn't know the lead singer has formed a new band called the dreaming. from what I understand they don't have an album out yet, but hopefully will at some point.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Andyman:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Shypappy:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cemetery Man:
    I had to endure my sister's horrid Air Supply LP at times.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh man! I don't even know why I'm gonna admit this, but I liked Air Supply when I was a kid, but that's probably just because I sang with them on this Calgary Christmas special, and they were the most famous people I had met. forums

.......Yes, I was a dork. forums
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">forums ........you what?
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shud-uuuuup!!! forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Shypappy:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cemetery Man:
    I had to endure my sister's horrid Air Supply LP at times.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh man! I don't even know why I'm gonna admit this, but I liked Air Supply when I was a kid, but that's probably just because I sang with them on this Calgary Christmas special, and they were the most famous people I had met. forums

.......Yes, I was a dork. forums
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whoa! I don't know what to say Pap, but for you I'll post the very album cover who's image should've been repressed ages ago if my psyche would be so generous-

(The most famous person I met as a kid was Carmine,aka the Big Ragu, from Lavergne and Shirley)

<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ February 03, 2004 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Cemetery Man ]</font>

HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Tortricidae:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by kerbythepurplecow:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Tortricidae:
    I started off listening to classical music when I was little (about 6 or 7) and the beatles when I was 9. the band that got me into the kind of music I listen to now was stabbing westward, and I first heard them when I was about 14.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stabbing Westward rocks. I think I discovered them at about the same age. Now that I think about it, I still haven't ever gotten around to picking up their very first albumn. Wither, Blister, Burn + Peel was great and still gets spinnage. I was saw them at a show with Sevendust, that was great. (Also Candlebox, Fuel, Lollipop Lust Kill, Gravity Kills, and Kid Rock LOL).</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you should get Ungod. it's a lot darker and harder than wbb+p. it's a shame that they broke up, but in case you didn't know the lead singer has formed a new band called the dreaming. from what I understand they don't have an album out yet, but hopefully will at some point.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm, I'm going to have to watch for that. I might have to finally pick up Ungod too. Strange thing is that even though my musical tastes have completely changed over the years, I have never grown away from that band.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Little history lesson for those that want to hear it and as I remember it-which could be all fudded up........

Born in '57, had a radio in my room and was listening to music sinse I could turn the dial....

We started off with 2 (count 'em 2)
    "Rock" radio stations.
    AM stations, at that.
    There was FM, but it didn't come in very well and was kinda like PBS on radio. (news, classical etc)

It was just "Rock" no sub-genres.
    You could hear the Beatles followed by Steppenwolf, followed by Sam Cook, followed by Bill Cosby doing "Little Ol' Man".........

Then we got a 3rd "all request" AM station-
    A "Soul" Am station-
    Then FM stereo & College Station and music started getting divided up and put into categories.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I first saw Stabbing Westaward with Sponge in AZ.
    I'm sorry they broke up, as they were really an innovative group. They had a fantastic sound,
    terrific dark melodies, and I loved the way they combined an older 'metal' sound, with an almost euro pop/goth style mix. When you get to be an old musical fart like myself, it's really fun to have a band play something that truly sounds fresh. They also had one of the more interesting light shows I've seen. A shame they are no more.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

RUSH and Peter Frampton (my first concert and still have the ticket stub which was for 7 or 9 bucks)

<font color="#cd6600" size="1">[ February 03, 2004 01:59 PM: Message edited by: chaserfan ]</font>

HB Forum Owner kerbythepurplecow's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sponge rocked. Are they back together?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My first concert was Angel, 1977, Flint's Capitol Theater. I couldn't hear for a week!

My first actual album I owned was "Grand Funk Live Album" in 1970.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast