Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im kinda liking this less fantastic and earth shaking story approach (just how many times can we face Galactus? really)this is an altogether more adult story theme and very human . The art is harsh and rather ugly, but i admit that I like it, it fits the story.the X-men were kind of creepy and I found that cool too.
    And the FBI team have enough hang-ups and secrets to have their own series.
    what do the rest of you guys think?

Pandora

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

it REALLY enjoyed issue #1. the thing i always loved about X-Men was (besides a few fav characters) the social/political situation of the world they lived in, and this is exploring that in depth, so i am naturally quite pleased [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Has anybody else read the second one yet? I really liked the first one, and this is a great follow-up.

For Kurt watchers, he's of course on the cover. Inside, he's only shown in one panel, but it's an important one. He also employs a trick we haven't seen for a while. Count the BAMFs! Go Fuzzy!

The story was really good, and followed the first one's adult theme. It's about a baseball player, and it captures the crappy aspects of our society perfectly. We also get the know both agents a little better. Mulder and Scully watch out!

Go get it!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The cool thing here isthesub-cultures that are hinted at. I can picture Mutie Clubs and strip joints that cater to the jaded and currious with ease. The atrocity of the boy's death is reminiscent of a famous incident in Wyoming...

I am excited to see what is up in #2.

BamfKat

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've read both so far.

I really enjoy the sense of realism and mature drama. This just isn't some cheasy plot, as is the case of Uncanny, (or seems to be), currently. It's something I can really believe and actually forget that my world is one without mutants instead of with mutants.

Character development is also very strong, or so it seems to me. Are FBI heroes are believable. They are not invulnerable by any means. They're normal people in a world that is emerging with mutants, which is somehow something I can relate to.

Methinks I'll pick this up and drop Uncanny.

BTW, on a side note, has anyone been reading Ultimate X-Men? Is this new penciler a temp or is he the replacement? I only ask, because it went from the realistic look to a cartoony look. (Also, most of the characters were completely changed in their physical natures. Most noticeably, Xavier becomes really young, Moira a little denser, Colossus a giant Russian bouncer type, instead of his sleek mafia look, and Bobby becomes about 5 years older and much more rocker looking.) I just found the new art.... annoying. Anyone agree?

<font color="#2c557f" size="1">[ May 24, 2002 01:34 AM: Message edited by: hiddencrawler ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by hiddencrawler:
    I really enjoy the sense of realism and mature drama. This just isn't some cheasy plot, as is the case of Uncanny, (or seems to be), currently. It's something I can really believe and actually forget that my world is one without mutants instead of with mutants.

Character development is also very strong, or so it seems to me. Are FBI heroes are believable. They are not invlunerable by any means. They're normal people in a world that is emerging with mutants, which is somehow something I can relate to.
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I've really enjoyed both issues so far...I'm enjoying Marvel's crime noir movement in general (X-Factor, Alias and Deadline). And I really like the fact that both of the agents are having to deal with the grey areas of the human/mutant relations, both publicly and personally.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Methinks I'll pick this up and drop Uncanny.

Whoa...no need to be hasty. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I actually think the X-Corps story was scads better than Poptopia, and Casey's final story ties into the 2001 Annual, which was also decent (The Vanisher...who would have thought...?).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

BTW, on a side note, has anyone been reading Ultimate X-Men? Is this new penciler a temp or is he the replacement? I only ask, because it went from the realistic look to a cartoony look. (Also, most of the characters were completed change in their physical natures. Xavier becomes really young, Moira a little denser, Colossus a giant Russian bouncer type, instead of his sleek mafia look, and Bobby becomes about 5 years older and much more rocker looking.) I just found the new art.... annoying. Anyone agree?

Chris Bachalo was just a fill-in. I like his stuff alot...although I found Steampunk to be just far too busy both picture and word-wise to actually sit down and read. Both of his Death mini-series for Vertigo have been top notch. And of course, there was that stint on Uncanny...

But it was a departure from Kubert's style...but at least it has a style. I don't know why Tom Derenick's pen & ink stuff is so flat and his grey-scale pencils are amazing. Raney's fill-in was probably the best of the batch so far. But I'm anxious to see "what happens next"...almost as much as X-Ev Season 3...

- Darkholme