Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Start of a short story. Not sure what it's about yet, but thought I'd post what I'd written so far anyway.

-----

Behind The Kiss

Sarah watched the bee flirt with the yellow flower. Mom always kept her garden up; kept it filled with a rainbow of petals.

The bee left the yellow flower and settled on a cherry red one, nestling itself in the black mound centering the petals.

Sarah sighed and leaned against the back of the wrought iron bench. The sun shone bright, evaporating every hint of cloud. Sarah felt a bead of sweat trickle down her neck, rushing from her cedar brown hair to her black overcoat. She should go back inside. Dad would be looking for her. He?d probably send Katelin or Jackson out to find her.

A breeze blew through the garden, shoving the bead of sweat off course and sending the bee back to the yellow flower. Two purple flowers from the tree floated down, landing at Sarah?s feet. She stretched out a black boot and crushed one.

?Dad?s looking for you,? Jackson said from behind her.

?I?ll come inside in a few minutes,? Sarah said. She watched the bee flirt again.
    Jackson came around on her right and looked down at her, his back to the garden.

?Dad really needs you,? he said.

Sarah looked up into Jackson?s deep blue eyes. He?d gotten the good looks of the family, tall, athletic physique, thick rich hair, chiseled chin, and the olive complexion. He had the baby face, too, clear evidence of his junior status.

?Dad doesn?t need me. He just needs one of us to help out,? Sarah said.

Jackson shifted his feet and frowned. ?He wants you.?

?That?s because I?m the only one that ever does anything,? Sarah said. She looked back at the garden.

?That?s not true,? Jackson said, his voice reflecting his quick temper. ?But you are the older sibling. So, Dad wants you.?

Sarah sighed and pulled her eyes back to Jackson?s.
    ?You could go in there, volunteer to do whatever he wants. He?d like that.?

Jackson?s lower lip trembled. ?No. He wants you. Why are you starting shit now? Just go in there and make Dad happy.?

Sarah felt her cheeks flush. ?I?m not in the mood to make everyone else happy. It is a funeral you know.?

?Exactly. Mom?s funeral. So why are you adding more misery on top of this? It?s bad enough the two of you didn?t get along. Don?t take it out on us.?

Sarah looked down at the crushed purple flower. It blurred as tears welled up.

?I?ll be in there in a few minutes. Just go tell Dad. Okay?? she said.

Jackson shifted his feet again. ?Yeah. Whatever.?

He turned and walked back to the house.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting beginning. And you almost answered the question I had... why is she dressed for winter if it's hot enough out for bees to be dancing around...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I might change that overcoat to a jacket (part of the suit she's wearing). Depends on something else. I plan on getting back to this after I finish the truly last edits to "She Thinks" (within a couple weeks).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

waiting for more, bran!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Did start the next part, but still finishing "She Thinks". I'll plan on posting more next week.

'Course, this means I'd have to mail it to you, 'Bird. [img]frown.gif[/img]