-
March 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM
#1
HB Forum Owner
Lavasoft has better scanning programs than Spybot, or Microsoft's Beta AntiSpyware program.
Bad news: My PC's infected.
Worse news: I'm still trying to get back my primary email address.
Good news: I don't think it's jacked all my passwords and address lists, and Yahoo is doing a good job of getting it back for me.
The sad thing is I watched the virus download and start to infect my PC before I could react quick enough to stop it. Effin' programs that run quicker than humans can think!#@%
Disregard any email that's come from me in the last week. :P
-
March 31st, 2005, 12:30 AM
#2
HB Forum Owner
You mean we arn't supposed to do that all the time? [img]wink.gif[/img]
Seriously *hugs* bud, that sucks.
-
March 31st, 2005, 05:00 AM
#3
-
March 31st, 2005, 10:41 PM
#4
HB Forum Owner
Geez! I hope you can get that stuff back 3p. I'm sure you can somehow. I need to start saving some of my schoolwork and stuff from this PC before I have the hard drive wiped.
I did get back into my Yahoo account.
-
April 1st, 2005, 01:23 AM
#5
Inactive Member
3P - A computer savy friend should be able to put your HD on another computer, no adapters needed, and then get the info off.
Yes the occasional virus scan is a good idea [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
April 1st, 2005, 04:06 AM
#6
HB Forum Owner
Jace,
I am sorry, I was just teasing you. I don't think it was stupid to put it here at all. It's always good to get a head's up when nasty virus stuff is going around. For one thing it clued me in to run Wincleaner and clean up my disk.
*hugs*
-
April 1st, 2005, 04:20 AM
#7
Inactive Member
well, about myself, my pc died, probably of a bad virus I couldn't detect. Basically, if I don't get somebody smart enough to find its memory back, four years of work and life will be gone forever...
-
April 1st, 2005, 04:30 AM
#8
HB Forum Owner
3P, you can buy a adapter that can let your hard disk be read on another computer. I think they are around $60. I have one for laptop hard drives and it was $40 I believe.
I wouldn't read it on a computer without good virus protection tho.
-
April 22nd, 2005, 04:01 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Everyone I know has had troubles with all Norton products [img]frown.gif[/img] I avoid them personally.
Avast! is available online, is free, & legal! and seems to do the job without much trouble.
Google for their homepage.
-
April 22nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
#10
HB Forum Owner
Virus software is VITAL. Norton and McAfee are the better products. TrendMicro has a nifty online scanner that's good when you suspect you have one. I haven't used their regular product, but it gets good reviews.
Spyware: causes as much, if not more, damage as viruses. Has really become a problem in the last couple of years. I can't tell you how many computers I have had to rescue from spyware that has shut them down. Best bet is to use Ad-Aware (from Lavasoft) AND SpyBot. Both are free and the combination works well to catch most spyware. They also release updates often. Ad-Aware has a paid version which actively blocks known spyware.
It's best to scan your machine for viruses and spyware at least once a week (after checking for recent updates). Keeping the software updated can save a lot of headaches (and money).
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks