Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Bumblebean,
    Bondage Faries? Cool. I thought I was the only non-Japanese perv out there who bought that book! Actually I buy it for my wife.......no, really!

Interesting side note to the whole 'How did you get started'- I gave my wife the first 2 tpb's and told her, hey, you'll like this. She knows I know her taste in comics so she tried them. Got half way through I Dream of You, then gave them back to me disgusted. 'Here, this is awful....." she said as she gave them back. 'Wha, why?" "I don't need this kind of frustration.....' and she left it at that. Given what was going on at the time, I understood completely and considered it a sort of compliment to Terry's writting. he did such a good job my wife was able to identify a little too much, and consquently hasn't read a panel of it since. Kind of a departure from the standard 'I gave SiP to my girlfriend/wife and she loved it!' huh?
    She still like Bondage Faeries tho'.......

Darth

------------------
    "We had been touched by the finger of God. Nobody ever asked 'Which finger?'" - The Poet, Joe Straczynski's 'Rising Stars'

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

I actually had my first issue given to me at a comic shop I'd been frequenting.

I'd been going into Campus Comics in Carbondale, IL (shameless plug) for a few months picking up The Maxx when it would come out. SIP was in Volume 2 at the time, and one of the clerks tried talking me into getting into the miniseries, they had some reprints lying around. I only had a couple dollars on me that I'd brought for the Maxx issue (MAJOR broke at that time) and the guy just slipped it into the bag, and said it was on the house. (Yeah, that's how dealers on the street work too... wink) I've been happily addicted to the book ever since! So big bald guy, wherever you are now, thanks a million! biggrin Now, if I could only remember his name! *LOL*

Inactive Member mark_umbababayee's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My friend Kev runs a comic shop, and I was round his house one evening and it happened to be on top of a big pile of stuff he'd brought home. And he never lets me forget it (still, I got him into Box Office Poison and Sin City, so we're about even).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

When I moved here from one county south(1994),saw issues of the miniseries in store,off-put somewhat by the bloody heart image on cover,read Cerebus Preview,not sure due to percieved male-bashing,but looking into comics out of the "mainstream".Went thru my typical agonizing over whether to get it(w/Bone,it took one visit,but I went thru the process nonetheless,Cerebus took a tad longer,but SIP longer still).Finally took the plunge largely on the basis of repeated brousing in stores,especially on the strength of the scene where Emma passes away.Late '94 or early '95,I'm not sure.Finally bought it and never looked back!Unlike Cerebus,I read SIP in order.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A little arty friend in High school gave me a very coffee stained torn and well loved copy of Molly & Poo just 'cause all my faerie drawings in this book I made were very straight nosed. She said my female fairies needed to be softer looking and more red nosed. I had a browse through and didn't understand a flipping thing in the plot. I didn't buy any more for years but my drawings ever since had much more variety in the nose department. Sorry 'bout this cliche of a beginning, but one rainy thursday night I was high as a kite and bawling my eyes out when I came across the 'borrowed' comic I'd carted to Uni w/ me. Francine looked all blury and beautiful, much the way Katchoo must see her when she's been on the booze. I'd ment to tell my recently ex hubby that I was bisexual but a comment on how much he loved me wiped all intentions. He had been the only male I'd ever confided in about my past. I just threw a giant overcoat over my PJ's and stumbled all the way into Canberra city. Thank God for late night shopping. On my way home, four volumes safely stowed in oversized coat pockets, I felt like I'd finally found some wings. On University avenue I left no puddle undisturbed. Childhood glee was always there, I just spent a long time ignoring it. Thankyou Terry. Thankyou very much.

Don't look at me like that
    Your eyes are too deep
    and I can't swim well in chocolate,
    Stephanie.Just hold my hand, now breathe with me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Let's see, unlike alot of you I didn't read about it in Wizard, largely because I don't read Wizard. It was back in college, I was frequently reading comics one of my housemates bought. One day, after he'd bought a new batch of comics, and I'd read Cerebus, I asked what else he had to read. It was a rainy day in Pittsburgh (I know, a little redundant) and someone else was on the Playstation. So Rob (the housemate) got his copy of the first TPB and I got myself hooked, by the next day I had read everything Rob had.
    There was a break in my reading though, when I graduated, before I got a job I couldn't afford to buy anything much, and of course I was sponging off Rob's collection, so I had to build up my own collection after finding work, but now I'm current.
    --Van

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's all my girlfriend's fault. She heard about SiP in a issue of Wizard (this was a couple of years before I met her) and she was went to her comic book store and picked up one of the earlier issues (something from Volume 2, I believe). She was hooked. So she started buying every issue she could find. Then she meets me, and declares me to be her Francine. Of course, I have no idea what she's talking about, so she hands me her collection with the command that I must read them all. Now, four years later, SiP is my addiction. I bought the TPBs 1-6 last year, and then filled in the rest of Volume 3 with individual issues. Then, I bought the 7th and 8th TPB for the halibut. So now I can lend out the TPBs to my friends, which makes life *so* much easier.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I started working in a comic store over a year ago, and I saw it on the self. I picked it up and asked my boss why he brought these comics in. He said, that SIP is actually really good, even though we only have a handful of people reading it.

A YEAR LATER, it was a slow day and Vol.3 #33 had just come out and I thought what the heck. It was great, I loved it. So I went to our back stock and picked out more. The next one I read was the Xena parody, and it was even better.

Now as you can see, I was not getting what SIP really was. My first non-parody issue was Vol. 2 #13. It was good, but I was so confused. So I read on, but only being able to read what I had in back-issues. I hit the early to mid twenties, and I was in tears. I knew it was something amazing with just about 8 issues and I was hooked. The SIP-drug got better when I finally read them all, and I cant go long without my SIP fix.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Count me among the Xenites! Since I'm a Xena fan, I was spending a little more time in comic shops, and the XWP homage was the first SiP I read. I saw a few other issues on the shelf and looked through them, but it was a little while before I made another purchase. I was quite taken by all the characters involved and before long, I bought the trade paperbacks. I've bought all the single issues since the Xena comic.
    I've bought all the Xena comics, but I haven't read them yet. SiP is the only comic I read and I'll follow it to the end!

------------------
    She don't need advice that you send to her. She's happy the way she looks, she's happy with her gender.~JJ

See that star...the one shining brighter than all the others? I know the girl who hung it there.
    ~Francine

Inactive Member BBWbbwBBW@aol.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm 30yrs old & had not read a colmic book in more than 20 years. My Fiance runns a comis shop & haded me a copy of SIP .. he dug out the first reries for me & I've been hooked for a year & half now!!
    I'm as bad as any other customer on Wednesdays ... "what do oyu mean theres not a new issue yet??"

=)

------------------
    Julie
    "It is not easy to become beautiful. It requires hard work, patience, and attention to detail. It also takes a certain firmness of purpose. Beauty is in
    the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." --Miss Piggy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast