-
August 7th, 2001, 01:53 AM
#11
Inactive Member
Jadian, I disagree with your list of things known about David. The only ones we can be sure of are that he is a poet and an art student (perhaps in New York, certainly in Houston). I am inclined to accept the indictment for murder because Peterson speaks of it as though Tambi already knows it, and because David later does kill someone. As for family, he has a cousin, Scott, who he offers to Katchoo as a model.
When Veronica told David that Katchoo was dead, did you believe her?
------------------
Deo volente, Magiae adero.
-
August 8th, 2001, 10:10 AM
#12
Inactive Member
When ever i think of David i am reminded of the old saying "Still waters run deep".
I have to admit that the guy has grown on me... At first he was this clean cut, nice guy type, with the unfortunate afflictions of Christianity and the unability to take a hint.
But his silent strength, his willingness to follow his feelings for Katchoo (no matter what personnel sacrifces he has to make) and that hidden mean streak have won me over.
But anyway i look at it i can't help thinking that David is heading for something bad...
To David Katchoo feels like home, but its obvious that this is not a feeling she shares. She may care for him deeply but Katchoo's home is Francine. And with Francine heading over to finally admit her love to Katchoo where does this leave David?
There were three in a bed and the blonde one said "roll over, roll over" so they all rolled over and one fell out...
-
August 8th, 2001, 03:54 PM
#13
Inactive Member
As for the whole gang thing and murder thing and Yakuza thing, I don't think Terry would put out a paper tiger like that if it wasn't a) going somewhere instantly or b) true. Since we heard nothing later to discredit this remark, but we did see David kill some one, I assume it was true.
Plus Tambi has this Godlike all-knowingness, I assumed no one would try and pull some thing on her. She's only said that he's a loser, a born again Christain. Which may explain her dislike of him as some one who has gone "soft".
And we do know he was born again. He tells Katchoo that himself. Remember?
The incestual relationship part is up for debate, but I doubt nothing happened after all these referrals to it.
Whatever "brother" may have meant to Darcy, he was somehow connected to her in a "family" way (gang family, blood family, adopted family, whatever) because she refers to him as her brother, and he refers to her as his sister (on the couch with Casey and Katchoo when he finds out his inheritance).
So I don't see any real holes in my list, but I'm open to interpretation. 
------------------
"Be excellent to each other." -Bill & Ted
"Do we need to have the "fantasy/reality" discussion again?" - eris
Feminist Rants
"Heaven holds a sense of wonder and I wanted to believe that I'd be called up when the rage in me subsides." - Sarah McLachlan w/ Delerium
-
August 9th, 2001, 04:17 AM
#14
KarmaPolice
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:
The fact that we have not had any first person narrative from David is symbollic-symbollic of the fact that David is a supporting character and SiP isn't about him-It's about Fran and Kat.
Darth
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We did have first-person narrative from David. It was only in one issue, and on a few pages, but it was there -- David was sitting on the sofa, thinking of the Griffin Silver song after driving Francine to the airport. I can't look up the issue number right now but I will edit it in tomorrow.
Darth:"David is a supporting character"::Jaxom:"Francine and Katchoo are not a couple"
-
August 9th, 2001, 02:08 PM
#15
Inactive Member
Oh no you don't! 
I don't remember the incident you describe, and when GC said the same thing, I went with it. If I am wrong, I thank you for pointing it out. But I stand behind my statement that David is a supporting character-He's like Han in Star Wars-Very Important Caracter, the story would be very different without him, and he may be some fan's favorite character, but Star Wars is essentially the story of Luke and the redemption of Darth Vader. Without Han or David, the same basic conflict still exsists, and the conflict is what drives the story. In SiP, that conflict is Francie and Katchoo. Kat's recent coldness to David is proof he means nothing relative to Francie, and in the end, I think he will be used as a foil to drive the wedge deeper between K&F.
However, I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking because it doesn't really matter, unless you are writing an Eglish paper on SiP. I only point it out when people wonder why David keeps getting the shaft...
Darth
--
'Jesus was right when he said the meek shall inherit the Earth. But they tend to inherit very small plots, about 6 foot by three.'
-Lazarus Long, "Time Enough For Love' by Robert Heinlein
[This message has been edited by Darth Fett (edited August 09, 2001).]
-
August 9th, 2001, 03:50 PM
#16
Inactive Member
Yes, David is born again. I overlooked that item in the list. There are several facts that support that, especially his behavior on Flight 495.
I agree also that he had a long, intimate, and unhealthy relationship with Darcy. But exactly what that relationship was, I don't know.
Terry has hidden most of David's story, and we can spend a lot of time arguing about the few clues he has provided. Sometimes I feel like Newton picking up a pretty seashell while the whole ocean of truth lay unexplored. Sometimes I get frustrated as when Casey asked about David's injuries and Francine replied "Complications. I'll tell you later." But she never did. It's like the old joke: "You know how to keep a moron in suspense? I'll tell you tomorrow."
In #20, Terry said "David's story is beginning to take shape this very issue." So what more do we know now? I could add trivia to the list, such as David likes Lillian Gish, Betty Page, Bjork, Tori Amos, and Rachmaninoff, but how much does that really say about him? You know, this subject would be a good one to grill Terry about next week.
------------------
Deo volente, Magiae adero.
-
August 10th, 2001, 03:15 AM
#17
Inactive Member
I suppose my complaint is that even Freddie has had an entire issue devoted to him.
Yeah, I remember that segment of the story when David is thinking about Katchoo and Francine's fight at the art museum. He gets up to find Katchoo absolutely plastered and soaking out in the rain in the middle of the night. "It's too dark today" - one of my fave SiP poems.
------------------
"Be excellent to each other." -Bill & Ted
"Do we need to have the "fantasy/reality" discussion again?" - eris
Feminist Rants
"Heaven holds a sense of wonder and I wanted to believe that I'd be called up when the rage in me subsides." - Sarah McLachlan w/ Delerium
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks