Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey. A friend and I were having a Sip discussion tonight when all of a sudden he starts whining that the issues are still in B&W. He says he LOVED the Image issues that were in color and was wondering if that can ever become a permanent thing. He's over there ----> reading my Sanctuary as I type this.

So basically, Terry, what I wanna know is this: Are there any plans to do SiP in color full time? What do the other posters think? Would you like to see SiP in color permanently?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, this debate rages from time to time. From everything I have heard(well, read...) Terry say, SiP will never go back to color. Terry's feeling was that the book just 'needed' to be in B&W. I undestand the argument, but disagree. I have read very little that NEEDS to be black and white(Sin City and Black Kiss are the only two that leap to mind that do...) but if that's how Terry is most comfortable drawing them, well, hey, who am I to complain.

Show you friend #33-the color super hero parody. The colors were sooooo over produced in that book that if I had the choice betwen that and B&W, I'd pick B&W every time. The first 5 Image issue are the only ones I have actually kept(I sell my issues after I buy the Hardcover versions) because Terry won't even reprint the issues that were in color in color.

Darth

------------------
    'There can be sex without love, love without sex, and situations so intermixed that nobody can sort out which is which.'
    -Lazarus Long, 'Time Enough for Love'-Robert Heinlein

Jaxom 27

Now now...I'd like to think that if Terry REALLY wanted to do color as a regular thing and use it to enhance the story he's get the right people to do the job right. #33 wasn't so much overproduced as it was unusual to our SiP-trained eyes.
    You can see the differences in the first Image issues that were in color and how they don't translate quite as well in B&W in the collected editions...I'd've kinda liked to have seen those remain in color (I know, I know...production costs...).
    Though the story is so much better in B&W...

------------------
    Before allowing drunken friend to cheat on his girl, you must attempt one
    intervention. If he is able to get on his feet, look you in the eye, and deliver
    a "F...OFF!" You are absolved of your of responsibility.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah, that's why I held onto my original color issue-art meant to be colored and simply 'uncolored' doesn't look as good as art meant to be in B&W....

By overproduced, I am talking about how everyone and everything looked like it had been dipped in polyurethane....remember the vinyl people in the battery commercials many years back?
    Just seemed to be someone with a new toy(computer coloring system) and they wanted make sure they used every filter and tool on the book...
    (Besides, given the # of books I read, my eye is anything but 'untrained' to color tongue)

But, that's just my(unpopular) opinion....like I said, better B&W than that, so I got my wish...tho' I'd be just as happy to see occasional color like you said Jax...

Darth

------------------
    'There can be sex without love, love without sex, and situations so intermixed that nobody can sort out which is which.'
    -Lazarus Long, 'Time Enough for Love'-Robert Heinlein

[This message has been edited by Darth Fett (edited September 02, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I must agree with Darth. I especially did not like the faces.
    But the 3 color pages in Volume II, #2 were not bad.

------------------
    Peregrinator in paradiso.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Main thing for me is the colour seems to take away a lot of the detail Terry puts in his B&W work. For me it?s the same with colour vs. b&w photo?s. Both can be nice, but colour can be really distracting. It can give a lot of power to a picture, but seemed to miss the point as far as SiP is concerned.

The reprint of the colour ish. in b&w wasn?t a good idea. I?m with Jax on that. It still lacks the detail and emotion of the "true" b&w, without the power of colour.

Jaxom 27

Color is as color does...take it or leave it, but be assured that it'll work itself out when the artist knows that the quality has to be there...

------------------
    Before allowing drunken friend to cheat on his girl, you must attempt one
    intervention. If he is able to get on his feet, look you in the eye, and deliver
    a "F...OFF!" You are absolved of your of responsibility.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I`m firmly in the B&W camp.The story is made for B&W,the time at Homage was for me a real downer.

... imu2

------------------
    It's simple tips like these
    That keep you safe from injuries
    The surgeon general should do his part:
    Warning, beware, be careful - Fragile Heart

Words By Jewel(EDA)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sweet Christmas!!!
    I have to say that B&W is where it's at. I just love it that way. I don't know why, it's just a feelin' I have. It's a good feelin'

------------------
    I have and read the first 9 TPB's of SiP.
    Can't wait for 10!

[This message has been edited by JackalsIII (edited September 04, 2001).]

Inactive Member christinethebean's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

i, too, prefer b&w to color in sip, but it's still cool in color..... as long as it does come out! (new sip tomorrow, w00t!)

as for kabuki, it isn't quite the same without mack's art in color.... but he's working on daredevil now and rarely puts out new k. *pout*

------------------
    within this calm sexy body beats the heart of a true scientist. ~ harry block

bean's site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast