Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrorist Attacks: is everyone here okay?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The whole thing is a tragedy. Yesterday I was impressed by how everyone in the country was reacting, particularly in New York since thanks to the Media, it generally has a reputation as being not where you'd generally want to be if something like this happens. Yesterday everyone was behaving in a decent manner, and the majority of the country still is. I was just watching ABC News however, and am disgusted by what some Americans are doing...Calling numbers out of the phone book with the word Arabic in them and phoning in bomb threats, and threats in general. One person posted on ABC saying that the Arabic nations should be nuked off the face of the earth, another said that all arabs should be deported from the United States, and made Illegal for them to enter until Terrorism is gone. This is F*****G BULL! It's not their fault that a few people who share their belief system took it upon themselves to do what was done to us, and the people responsible (While who exactly has not been determined yet) were not even American citizens, while many of the people targeted in the threats were. When President Bush and other members of our government called for us to band together as a nation and help each other, they didn't disclude anyone from that statement, and nor should we. While I am 100% sure no one on the SIP board has done anynthing like what I've described in this post, I would encourage everyone who sees anything happening along these lines, hears racial slurs, etc. be it in the workplace, schools, universities, etc. to stand up for the people being targeted in such a way, because we're all Americans, and we've all been affected by this. From what I've heard there were arab americans in the buildings targeted, who are now being mourned by their families as well.

THanks for letting me Rant,

Littledemon

------------------
    The Original Dennis! Proud Friend of Kerianne!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

How many of these dumbass raciest idiots were calling twenty something white guys, threating to kill them and blow them up after McVeigh killed the people in Oklahoma?
    We can not fight among ourselves. We are all Americans no mater what country our ancestors came from. Everyone who spreads hatred to inoccents like this are doing exactly what the terrorists wanted. We are killing ourselves with these types of actions.

------------------
    "Beware the fury of a patient man"-John Dryden

"What does it profit God to take the young, rending the cloth of his blessing undone?"-Griffin Silver
    "Nothing is certain but the unforeseen."-fortune cookie.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What is really frightening is that some of our own people are as bad in a way, or behaving badly. I don't know about elsewhere but I saw people panicing and buying out bottled water and canned goods, huge lines at all groceries and gas stations. And the people that took advantage of the situation and posted gas prices at $2.55, $3.00, and even as much as $5.55 and there were people lined up to buy it.
    But it was heartening to also see the lines backed up around blood and plasma centers, and all the donations people have been giving. I know I've tied a ribbon on my broken stub of a car antena.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

The "homegrown bigotry" is pretty sickening to me as well. Today on the local news there was a story about a athletic store manager who spelled out "no muslims" on the front of his store windows with duct tape. On some of the other forums I visit, people are talking about how they can't wait to blow all middle east countries off the face of the earth. Hopefully, this madness won't last very long.
    I'm also wondering if anyone here knows there way around manhattan. I have a friend who works there and was probably at work at the time of the attack. She works at the Citicorp building. I'm not sure how close that is to the crash site. I have no way to contact her and have no idea where she might be. If anyone can tell me how close her building was to the crash site, I'd appreciate it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by frosti (edited September 13, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

I'd like to point out some of us to the "Stranger Than Paradise" forum, also under the "Comics" Category, which has some amazing and respectful conversations going on. There are several threads with different angles and everyone is being very calm and open to others opinions. I post there frequently and I extend a welcome to any who want to join the group there. smile
    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/for...100&LastLogin=

Another, smaller discussion, perhaps not as restrained, is going on at my forum under "The Wahoo Action Team" category, Feminist Rants. The link is in Jadian's signature at the top of this thread.

------------------
    nolite te bastardes carborundorum

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Frosti, Citicorp has many buildings, but I looked it up and several of them are on Wall Street which is very close to the WTC. I know that this probably sounds scary, but it was not one of the buildings that collapsed and your friend should be ok.

Things in NY are still a bit choatic, phone lines are still tied up, people are stunned. I hope you hear from your friend soon, but given the conditions in the city it would be understandable if it takes a few days.

*hugs*

------------------
    Selah

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This homegrown bigotry sickens me as much as those Palestinian haters/brainwashing recipients cheering and partying in their land. In fact, there is a report on ABC about those Klannish scumbags right now. The quotes above were just on.

We need to hear of people better than them.

There is a woman on the Saturday Night Live newsgroup, a nurse, who volunteered to go down to NYC and help in a medical capacity. She's a familiar regular there, and she's been called up. I could only give her my admiration.

Hey, even Yassir Arafat gave blood to help the victims!

------------------
    Peace.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A hole in my world.

You step out of the hole and into the world
    while the whole world looks at the hole in the tower
    you walk toward the scene, unbelief at what's seen
    not knowing it will stand but an hour

before you get there, a plane tears through the air
    the shock waves nearly knocks you off your feet
    then you stare quite in shock as the folk round the block
    voice plaintiff calls of disbelief

you march 18 miles through the grim stubborn smiles
    to return to your kith and your kin
    and you watch the dire news, of their venemous spews
    and the events of the day settle in.

A shower and a rest, and I view with the rest
    the rubble, the dust and the tears
    and resolve, like a dope, to rekindle some hope
    and carry it as a shield 'gainst my fears.

In less prosey terms:
    I was four blocks from the North Tower when it was hit and two blocks closer when the south tower was struck. By some fortune all of my coworkers, family, friends and their families escaped with none or only minor injuries. However, I know many workers in the trade center and the outlying buildings who have not been accounted for yet. Phone service has been hit or miss (I only was able to reach my last staff member today). The residual paranoia has caused numerous lockdowns, evacuations, etc. Fortunately, the New York mentality (and ego) refuses to admit defeat.

I hope all the other board New Yorkers are equally unscathed.

------------------
    A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again. -Alexander Pope

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for your effort AsIs. I appreciate your concern. Fortunately, I got an email from her today telling me that she was shaken up, but still alright. But thanks for caring.
    *returns hugs*

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for your effort AsIs. I appreciate your concern. Fortunately, I got an email from her today telling me that she was shaken up, but still alright. But thanks for caring.
    *returns hugs*

------------------

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast