Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reason Kodak Should Not Give up on Super-8...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

While Super-8 may represent a small portion of Kodak's overall revenue, Super-8 is experiencing a Renaissance completely fueled WITH NO MARKETING push by Kodak of any kind. (although they did generously provide on their super-8 pages to this forum)

That's an amazing thing.

If Kodak simply ran some very small Super- 8 ads in various videomaker style of magazines, they would reap a huge growth in the sale of Super-8 film, far exceeding what it would cost to run the ads.

The added bonus to Kodak is some of these Super-8 filmmakers will then want to shoot 35mm later on in their career.

Not all young kids think alike. They don't all want to own the latest shoes from Nike or Addidas, they don't all want to be like the richest kid in class, nor the most spoiled kid in class.

If they are filmmakers of the future, they are different just by being themselves, and being different means picking up a Super-8 camera rather than a mini-dv camera.

I see these kids periodically. When I get the chance to shoot super-8 on location, MORE KIDS TODAY know what a Super-8 Camera is then just 10 years ago. I've witnessed it personally. Teenagers coming up to me and asking "Is that a Super-8 Camera?".

Product awareness that continues to rise for a product that has not been made IN OVER 22 YEARS should never be ignored.

It's Really been an amazing turn of events for the Super-8 format.

Once scanner technology reaches the point where Super-8 film could be scanned into a non-linear environment, one foot of film at a time, the sky will be the limit as to how many people will want to own the most cost-effective filmmaking tool ever made, the Super-8 Camera.

Just as Mini-DV is proving to be an extremely useful video tool that can replace the larger Beta-Cam Sp Camera for several (but not all) forms of production, Super-8 can be a wise choice when one does not want the look of mini-dv.

16mm may be a "better" film format, but the array of Super-8 camera choices and multiple capabilities Super-8 cameras offer make it a completely unique style of film acquisition.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 18, 2002 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

TA152

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 28, 2003 10:49 PM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font>

TA152

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 28, 2003 10:50 PM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That was cool!

Another Winston Churchill saying (not an exact quote)

"Men build Institutions, then Institutions rule men."

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, i belong to those new Super-8 kids who choose real film instead of mini-DV because of the feel and the look. I think we should force Kodak to gain their super-8 merchandisement!

TA152

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 28, 2003 10:50 PM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I remember responding to that petition over a year ago.

I think the new strategy should be that kodak begins to hear from the stores that they sell film in. They need to hear requests from the stores that people are coming into the stores asking for Super-8 film!

Do you realize if a thousand stores each got just two requests to buy Super-8 film, Kodak would notice!

TA152

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 28, 2003 10:51 PM: Message edited by: S8 Booster ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sure they will notice.
    Would be a dream if some company starts producing super-8 gear!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by HenrySuper8:
    Sure they will notice.
    Would be a dream if some company starts producing super-8 gear!
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Beaulieu still produces new gear. They still make the 7008 pro cameras (expensive [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and they now are making brand new 4008 ZMII and ZM4 bodies with refurbished Schneider or Angenieux optics. You can purchase the 4008 with lens and new 600 mah Nimh battery for only about 1100 USD. When you think about it is a very good price for a new camera.

They may even be making the 6008 pro cameras again too.

http://www.beaulieu.de/pages/s8_aufn.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast