Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am starting to get the feeling that digital will never be able to delever a true film type of look.

I could qualify that by saying without very careful studio lighting and very expensive post production including placing the digital image back on film!

What if the evil secret agenda of the equipment manufactures of digital cameras and editing systems is to get us so use to the video look that no one remembers what film looks like. Or even better, "We don't like the look of film anymore, it's for Old People!"

Since the film look is a cultural bias, it could possibly be replaced in time with a generation or two of reality TV viewers.

"I can't wait to see the full length version of Joe Millionaire."

Any thoughts?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Remember the radio guy of the 60's & 70's that talked reeelyy fast and had a pesuedo deepness to their voice. As a matter of fact, I bet you've done the part Bossjock!

It's almost as if that type of energy is being translated to video, digital video. Many projects being shot on Digital Video have a nowness look, and a nowness, reality, up to the minute feel to them.

I believe this trend will continue as the evil digital empire continues to remove the ewoks from the projection rooms across the country and replace them with slick digital video transmission from the dreaded satellite.

Heck, if live car chases can gather ratings, then all "real-life" madcap reality shows have a chance. In the end, it's nothing more than dirctorial self absorption.

Why create a story that takes place in a time a place all it's own when we can fake up to the minute reality. As time goes on, up to the minute reality will prove more important than a plain old fashioned story, because it's actually happening.

That is the architecture for societal brainwashing on a massive scale. "Look over here, because it's live and happening as we speak".

Out with the art, in with the now. [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Why create a story that takes place in a time a place all it's own when we can fake up to the minute reality. As time goes on, up to the minute reality will prove more important than a plain old fashioned story, because it's actually happening.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think "reality" will ever eclipse "story" even in mainstream culture. The beauty of "story" is that it can be refined until it is perfect. Story is an archetype of life, not a documentary. This is why people go to movies...to be reassured that the good guys win, the hero saves the day and gets the girl. It is fantasy, but people need to see that, sometimes even more than they need to see reality.

I think reality TV is just a fad. Sure a lot of people are watching it, but even more people go to the movies on the weekends.

Have you guys seen "Series 7?" Movie with this subject...

http://www.series7movie.com/

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I want to believe you Nahie, and I'm glad you believe the way you do, but I don't believe that! [img]eek.gif[/img]

Corporations rule the world and it's a corporation's mission to get people's attention. That's really the most important thing in the world to a corporation, how can they get your attention. Reality TV, up to the second "here it is live message" is the most cost effective way to achieve this goal.

It's easier for a bean counter to justify spending LESS money on reality messages than spending more money on a "story". Plus, it's easier and less costly to get in and out of the Reality type story and switch to another Reality type story if the first one is flopping.

There's less of an upfront investment of money for reality based stories, and if the reality TV story succeeds wildly, they just milk the story and continue it right then and there.

It's a bean counters dream, and a filmmakers worst nightmare, and once projectors are replaced by digital transmission, it may be too late to stop the trend.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="verdana, sans-serif">Originally posted by nahie:
    Have you guys seen "Series 7?" Movie with this subject...

http://www.series7movie.com/
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]eek.gif[/img] [img]confused.gif[/img] [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]frown.gif[/img]