Thread: About different film stocks (and two more questions...)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Hello, I'm making some filming proofs on different films stocks. One is the Ektachrome 64T (Color Reversal Film) and the other one is Vision2 200T (Color Negative Film).
    One thing that I found out was that when I put the Vision2 cartridge inside of my camera (Canon AZ814) I couldn't change the filter from inside filming to outdoor filming. While with the Ektachrome 64T I could change it when I need it, when I put the Vision2 cartridge this lever automatically get stucked in the inside position. So finally I made my outdoor filming with the indoor filter (I couldn't change it). Let's see how this turn on.
    Anyone knows if this was made in purpose? or is just something that my camera is not working well with that kind of cartridge?

Another thing is about another film stock, the Witter Chrome 100D, I didn't know about this stock until I read about it on the Super 8 today magazine (I highly recommend it). They gave three different kind of stocks to three different filmmakers and all of them choose this stock better than Ektachrome 64T and Fuji Velvia 50D. Is it really better than Ektachrome 64T?

And the last question is about what is the better option to Telecine? I'm thinking in using cinelab.com, because they develop and Telecine, so I can make everything in the same place. They gave several options to give you the final digital file, they offer Mini DV, DV Cam,Beta Sp, Hard Drive and DVD. I'm thinking in using the Mini DV option, cause I have a mini DV camera and I can transfer it to the computer easily. But I want to be sure that this gaves me the best quality options. I'm thinking in making a DVD to send to different film festivals.

Thanks for your help,
    Daniel P.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Daniel.

You can study the actual cartridge design of the different film stocks to determine why one cartridge activates the filter and another doesn't.

If the cartridges are not bought directly from Kodak the way the cartridge is punched may be different than the way kodak does it.

Is there a filter key somewhere on the top of the camera as a second option for removing the filter?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finally I discovered why this happens. Maybe I'll make a notch on the cartridge to let the filter be changed. The cartridge doesn't have a notch in one place and pushes a little piece inside the camera that when is free allows me to change the filter.
    Thank you for your help, alex.

Daniel P.