0 Post(s)

Question

Hi there,

Say I wanted to rope in members of the public to be in a film briefly, or I
    shoot out in public and people walking by and cars driving by are in the
    shot.

Do I need to get release forms signed by everyone who appears in the film,
    or is there a minimum amount of "work" they have to do before that becomes
    an issue? And does this to extend to incidental passers by and the owners of
    cars whose number plates are visible in shot?

In the past, I have been given various bits of advice. Some have told me that I need a release form from each and every person appearing, while others have said that if there are more than three people in the background, that constitutes a crowd, and they wouldn't have much of a case against you in court for saying you filmed *them*, as they were part of a crowd.

If you have ever seen Trigger Happy TV, the "candid camera" show which is filmed in public, the faces of the people having jokes played on them are sometimes blurred out, but you can still see the faces of passers-by clearly. However, there would seem to be too many of them going by too quickly to get permission from them all. I know that I myself have recognisably appeared on TV without giving consent, and it was in a context where the film makers would have had time to ask for it. But in both these cases, the shows are more in the non-fiction vein.

Does anyone know of where the law stands on this issue? I don't want to be tied to domestic interiors or big close-ups against walls! I'm in the UK, but if there are any legal problems that would affect *showing* films with members of the public in other countries, even if I was allowed to film them, that would be useful to know.

Many thanks,

Martin

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In the U.S., any show for profit MUST get releases from anyone appearing in the shot.

If you were to film the Large Helium Ballons that carry people, the actual design on the balloons can be copyrighted and you would have to pay for showing it in your movie.

Generally, don't worry about it unless you know for certain you will be making money, or the message of your movie is political or potentially offensive.

Some beginning filmmakers consider it an honor to get a cease and desist letter from an attorney because it means somebody saw their movie!

------------------
    Alex