Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

I am an NYU film student about to enter my second year of school and was sparked the other day by the sight of a $5 super-8 editor lying neglected in a thrift store. Seemed like an offer too good to pass up, so I bought it. I've had super-8 cinematography on the brain since.
    I'd love to be able to buy, shoot, (process?), and edit on the medium, but I need help. I've read faq's, but I'm afraid I'm starting at a more basic level. I am completely familiar with exposure, shutter speed, and other considerations taken for 35mm SLR cameras, but am sort of in the dark when it comes to moving film. Back up, though, I don't even know what sort of camera to go for or if the editing equipment I found is at all useful (it has all the parts, but it's completely manual-wind and as far as I can tell, it's only for tape editing). Please bear in mind that the good 'ol NYU fees are crazier than two hells and I can't spend very much, but at the same time don't want to waste my money on junk. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Hey CritUnitB: I know how you feel--I just got started a while back myself. Tips: start reading everything.

Follow this and other message boards. Information and assistance is thin but occasionaly the dialog gets going.

Check out every Super8 website you can find. Here are some good places to start:

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lavender/569/

http://www.thevideojunkie.com/s8/

http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/

Don't forget some of the "classic" books on Super8 filmmaking. These are sometimes still available on ebay or through Amazon used service. Much of the information in these is dated, but we're still dealing with the same equipment that the b

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, continued...

We're still dealing with the same equipment that the books we're about so there is some good basics to be found in these.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, continued...

We're still dealing with the same equipment that the books we're about so there is some good basics to be found in these.

Hope that helps.

Tim