Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12

Thread: HDTV

  1. #11
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Right. HDTV would have developed much faster from demand was there not so much uncertainty to hinder consumer confidence. Of course, this is inherent in the emergence of all new technology. I would have had no problem with the FCC making one type of decoder mandatory; setting standards early on to allow progress. They did not.

    For instance, I think if someone made a ruling that DVD's are now the standard and put a stop to all VHS that would certainly be controlling a market. Allowing manufacturers to make several different decoders/receivers and failing to set a standard system early enough is shortsighted, wasteful, and irresponsible.

    If anything this type of inaction could be hurting the development of high-resolution digital cameras. They aren't going to get cheaper for some time now as the market will continue to be saturated with NTSC cameras. Digital televisions will still be overpriced premium products. I think the only ones making out on this delay are the manufacturers and those selling the bandwidth!

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 06, 2003 05:07 PM: Message edited by: c_77 ]</font>

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Cranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm down for mandated broadcast ability by the majors and their affiliates...
    As long as they do away with any licensing for analog NTSC transmission.

    What?! Make it possible (and free!) for ANYBODY to broadcast? Pretty novel idea, I know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •