Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Widescreen...possible?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bgart5's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I understand that Super8 has a smaller frame to begin with than either 16mm or 35mm, but is doing widescreen (1.85:1 or 2.35:1 for the more technically inclined) possible with Super8?

    Are there special lenses that you can use or can you have it matted when processing?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Widescreen is very possible with Super-8. For me it is a matter of showing commercially made cinemascope films by mounting an anamorphic lens in front of my projector, but there are quite a few people who go the extra mile and mount an anamorphic in front of their cameras as well. This gets touchy as you have to hold the anamorphic lens perfectly aligned with the prime lens on the camera, but in such a way that the anamorphic isn't allowed to rotate, otherwise you'll get kind of a psychedelic distortion as the "axis of squish" rotates around.

    There is also a school of thought on super-8 widescreen which calls for widening the camera's gate to allow the area traditionally occupied by the sound stripe to receive an image and thereby widen the frame. It's usually called "Super-Duper-8".

    I think there is a lot of merit to wide screen filming. There are a lot of times when I'm doing a nature film and I stand up on a mountainside looking at some awesome vista, and then put a camera to my eye and feel like now I'm looking at it through a keyhole!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Mercutio's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2001
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How would I go about converting either my Nizo S800 or my Beaulieu 4008 to 'Super-Duper 8'? I am looking to get a 16:9 ratio.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member damselfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2004
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    a better option is to just use an anamorphic lens. there is no need to convert the camera.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •