Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

I've got a nice GAF ST/602 camera. The light meter has no battery. I tried some hearing aid batteries, but no luck. Anyway, there's a little knob on the back of the camera that you'd turn with a dime or penny. It says "light" at one end, and "dark" at the other end. I just shot two under-exposed roles on the "light" setting. Does anyone know, before I waste more film, what the light and dark knob does? I'm guessing that I need to turn it to dark - meaning I'm shooting in dark conditions. I shot a test role and actually tuned the knob while the film was roling. It did like a fade out thing - got darker. I guess I don't remember which way I was turning the knob while I was shooting that film. (Yes, I am an idiot). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

JP

Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,
    I have the same camera. The knob you are talking about is for exposure adjustment. In other words, at a given light level do you want more or less light to reach the film?.

The correct cell for this one is a PX-14, which is 2 PX-13 1.35V Mercury cells placed in series inside an outer shell. At least stateside it is not available anymore.

This site has the 3.0V Alkaline replacement cell.
    It is under "3.0v Alkaline replacement for 2MR9, EPX14, V14PX (scope reticule illuminators)"

http://www.photobattery.com/

They are easy to deal with and get it to you really fast.

What voltage are the hearing aid cells you have been using? I hope not high enough to damage the meter.

I am in the middle of getting an ST/602 I grabbed on E-bay back into filming shape and just bought this battery myself. I have a question for anybody who knows; Does the change from the 2.7V to 3.0V cell throw the exposure off? If so does the exposure adjustment mentioned above do a good job compensating?

Another ailment of this camera is the eyepieces turn to tar and disintegrate. Fortunately, the eyepeiece for the Bolex H-16 should be a good fit. I am currently pursuing getting a replacement from these folks:

http://members.fortunecity.com/sazeech/eyecup.htm

The ST/602 is a neat machine, It is sturdy, quiet and has some nice features. It is a personal favorite of mine because when I was 17 years old a local department store was selling them brand new for $79.99. I bought one and over the next 10 years literally wore it out. That was how I got involved in super 8 film making.

When I got back into super 8 I made sure that this camera found its way back into my collection.