Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Polavision

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 4th, 2000
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone of you ever tried Polaroids Polavision format back in the day?

    If Polavision cartridges could be found somewhere, do you think the chemicals would still work after all these years?

    I know the quality would be like shit, but so what! It would be so cool to make a short film with that format. (all I need is 1 working cartridge!)

    Anyone ever heard about Techicolors Magi cartridge??? (I haven't. Please tell me!!!)

    Mikko

  2. #2
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This stuff is not projection density, I'm afraid. I worked in a camera store right out of high school and we tried to sell these white elephants. What a joke. The film has to be played in the cartridge they come in. The rear projection player doubles as a processor and has a REALLY intense quartz light to force an image out of this black super 8 film. We took some out and tried to project it. We might as well've been projecting black leader or Kodaychrome underexposed by 4 stops. Yuck!

    If you want to see what it's like, buy some Polaroid instant color slide film. Strangel enough, their black and white slide film is fine, but the color is just like the Polavision crap.

    Roger

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    So, did you ever consider overexposing it by 2 or 3 stops.

    -Alex

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, Alex!

    Yeah, actually, we did! The D-max on the this stuff is really high. When you overexpose, it just starts looking high contrast like Kodalith, only in color. The chemicals also seem to adhere to the film, just like peel off prints. Pretty nasty stuff. My boss got a caustic burn on his index finger messing with the film.

    Roger

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    Well, know we know why you hate Super-8 so much, you were involved in a lab accident...probably turned you into a Spiderman type mutant.

    but instead of chanting Rosebud, you choose....."I should have used a Canon Scoopic."

    -Alex

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    Seven years ago, Polaroid had inventory of their polavision stock, Just call Polaroid and ask.

    I agree, immediate film is a cool idea for certain projects, heck, pixlevision has a following!

    -Alex

  7. #7
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Funny, I never new Orson Welles played Peter Parker... Wait a minute....I'm getting a vision of Orson in a Spiderman costume....

    Eeeeeeewwwwwww......

    Roger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •