Thread: Depth of Field for super 8

deadiproductions

I'm trying to find depth of field charts for Super 8mm. I have the American Cinematographers Handbook but they only list charts for 16mm and 35mm. Any ideas?
    Thanks

------------------

crimsonson

Use a 2/3' CCD for video as your guide. S8mm has about the same DoF.

------------------

MovieStuff

Depth of field is pretty much the same regardless of what format. If you take a 12mm lens from a Nikon, it will have tremendous depth of field but will look wide angle. If you put that lens on a Super 8 camera, the view will seem normal (not wide angle) but the depth of field will still be the same. Therefore, you can use the depth of field guides for 16mm and they should be good enough for your super 8 work. Just ignore the format and look at the focal lengths.

Roger

------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

mattias

use the 16mm one. i do that all the time. the field of view is obviously very different, but the dof is pretty much the same. some people say you need a smaller coc, and less dof, in super 8 than in 16, since you have to enlarge the image more to view it, and some say you can use a larger one, since super 8 is less sharp. technically, there's no difference in dof between formats. the focal length of the lens is all that matters.

/matt

Matt Pacini

The only S8 depth of field chart I've ever seen, was in my Nikon R-10 manual.
    If you can find one of those, you will have all the exact measurements.

Matt Pacini

------------------

crimsonson

My Nizo 6080 came with a Schnieder 1.4/7-80mm Optivaron DoF booklet. I sold the camera, but kept the booklet wink

------------------

MovieStuff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mattias:
    use the 16mm one. the focal length of the lens is all that matters.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Word.

------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html