Thread: Film grain

MovieStuff

To my knowledge, Kodachrome is the only dye-transfer reversal on the planet. I am not aware of Fuji implementing such a film but I could be wrong. Even if they do, K40 still seems the sharpest kid on the block to me.

Roger

------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

sasounet

Hi Roger,

I think you misunderstood my question ! I am talking about the standard chromogenic fujichrome film you can buy for any Single8 camera. There aree 2 types available 200 & 25ASA. The question is how does the 25ASA compare to the K40 ??

Have you ever transfert a single8 film to video? If yes, what do you think of the colors, grain etc...

Regards,
    Sasounet

------------------

MovieStuff

Ah! Yes, I misunderstood the question. Sorry. I don't know but I would think the K40 will still be sharper with smaller grain since there are no color couplers. I just don't think that a one stop or so difference would make the grain on the Fuji significantly smaller to compete with the K40. I've never transferred any single 8 to video but that might be the great equalizer, in terms of apparent grain. The Fuji might also be lower contrast than the K40 since the D-max on the Fuji won't be so high. I know the much lamented Ektachrome 40 had much lower contrast than the Kodachrome 40 in side by side tests I did back in the mid 70's. Grain was bigger but the E40 definately had lower contrast. So might the Fuji.

Roger

------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

sasounet

Hi all,

I had an argument the other day with my friend about the grain quality of super8 K40 versus Single8 fujichrome 25 ASA. I told him that I believed the K40 has less grain because of the special development process (B&W film with color added in the lab, blabla bla). But he said NO WAY. We tried to settle this using a microscope but it was not obvious?

So what do you think?

Also, with all the problems with Kodak cartridges these days, I think I will be looking for a good Fujica Single8 camera and drop Super 8 until the problems are solved. Steel pressure plate, perfect registration, and no jittery results! (I was really pissed when I received my last cartridge; it looked horrible).

Regards,
    Sasounet