Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Editors?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member JackMartinEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 29th, 2004
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What can these actually do? Can they all splice and join and view and run ... etc


    Thx

  2. #2
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    They're basically a small view screen and rewinds, some are motorized,some have sound heads,etc.
    Before people started transferring film to video and editing digitally,they editied film by cutting and splicing.
    The viewer/editor allowed you to hand crank your film,forward,backward and find places to make cuts and splices.
    They're pretty much obsolete as most s-8 people shoot negative stock,which cannot be handled on a viewer or projector and must go directly to video.
    If you shoot reversal such as Ektachrome and intend to transfer later,you can get some use out of a viewer by cutting your original (Very carefully I might add) down,removing the stuff you know you're not going to use,thereby cutting down the amount of footage you transfer saving money.
    Marty

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Negative Stock? I never touch the stuff!

    Actually, as this poll on the Shooting8mm forum shows:

    http://8mm.filmshooting.com/scripts/...3773245b345cbf

    A majority of us are still cutting and splicing film on the editing bench. I would suspect that the divide is likely to be found that folks who are making films to be shown at home and among their friends are still editing camera originals and projecting, whereas the more professional crowd that is interested in mass distribution is editing on the PC and producing final cuts on video.

    Is one way really "Better" than the other? Absolutely not! Each of them fits people with different goals and tastes. A little tolerance goes a long way here, remember that many people who are pure video shooters think we're all crazy for shooting Super-8, no matter what we do with it.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by oldasdirt:

    They're pretty much obsolete as most s-8 people shoot negative stock,
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh stop! your killing me [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member JackMartinEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 29th, 2004
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So I just bought and Editor, and when I view the film (not negative) in it, its not all that clear. Is this normal?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have an old editor that lost it's ability to focus well after being in storage a long time. (I think the mirror is fogged.)

    However, a good editor in good condition will give you a sharp image.

    The one I replaced it with does much better.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 17, 2004 10:41 PM: Message edited by: BolexPlusx ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Interesting.It's good to see that splicers aren't only in the museums.I posted here on this forum a question about film editing equpipment,namely a s-8 flatebed or old Optasound ESTEC and got no answer.
    With as much interest as there seems to be in cutting film directly,I'm surprised no one on this forum has resurrected one of those beasts.
    I learned to edit on a Steenbeck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •