Thread: Another vintage R8 home movie: Denmark, 1966

tfunch24

I posted this on SG Forum but got no response, so I thought I'd try it over here...

The following is DIY off-the-screen telecine I did with my variable speed projector and my Sony DCR-TRV 840 digital 8 camcorder.

Some flicker, some vignetting, and some under/overexposed scenes.

This is another film my grandfather shot while attending an anesthesiolgist's convention in Europe in 1966.

I created the music using a program called "Techno eJay" and "Sound Clips 10,000," a royalty-free collection of samples and sound effects.

High bandwidth version (Indeo) (13 megs):

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tfunc...rkinternet.avi

low bandwidth version (Widows Media) (3 megs):

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/tfunc...whostboard.wmv

Enjoy. Please let me know if any of the links are broken.

Feedback appreciated.

Tom

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Tom that's pretty cool. I like your soundtrack, the beginning reminded me of Sonic Youth. Anyway, the first clip wasn't working. The second one worked though...

tfunch24

Thanks.

When you say the "first link didn't work," do you mean you got a 404 error? Or did your PC just refuse to play it?

I'm going to start using Quicktime more often. The only problem with that codec is that it takes up a lot of space--a pain for somebody using a plain old modem.

Tom

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by tfunch24:

When you say the "first link didn't work," do you mean you got a 404 error? Or did your PC just refuse to play it?

</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

It played the music, the quicktime frame appeared but there was no picture. It gave me an error that Quicktime was missing some software that wasn't available for download.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It played just fine for me. The music was so nice that I let the thing play out till the end. Don't do that too often either. It gave a really strange effect to the otherwise normal home movies of travels. Sort of dramatic or erie 'ya know?

Mike Carter

tfunch24

Thanks, Michael. Considering I'm not a musician, it seems that the soundtrack came out pretty well.

I thought that the music would be received as too repetitive or frenetic.

I'll leave the clips for another couple of days.

Tom

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 27, 2003 04:56 PM: Message edited by: tfunch24 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I liked it! Very saturated colors, and the music was great! The film is in very good shape considering its age. The images really had that "mid-european 60's" feel to it! Thanks for sharing!