Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Academy Awards always bring a little conversation, in particular, MICHAEL MOORE

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As a person who spawned a thread that went out of control.

I must say lets keep this civil. Let us state our opinions and our opinions only. Do not question what others think--They think that way because they do.

I am a Libertarian. I have even run for State office as a Libertarian. I will fight against force in any form it may take. Thus, I will always defend the right of people to say or do what ever they want when ever they want in any way they way to say or do it.

I was at Mr. Moore's world premiere of "Bowling For Columbine." I think that Moore makes films that spark debate--Which is good. However, I think that all of his films are shit. I don't think that he illustrates the complexity of his subjects. Instead he paints pictures in black and white. The world is never black and white. Violence is not just American. There are far more violent societies than ours. Yet, one would never know that from seeing Moore's propaganda. The same way that one would assume we are violent by only seeing the violent propaganda on CNN.

I think it was Cicero that said it best. "War Horrible War."

Good Luck

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aha! This seems like one of those threads that has the potential to scatter the tumbleweeds. I will plead also: keep it civil!

- Jeff Dodson

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I totally respect Mr. Moore he deals with issues with an irreverent, leftfield intelligence you don't often associate with the media. I am sure he chose to use those words at that time to get as large an audience as possible for what he believes. It is open to conjecture whether this was the right time or place but personally I would have accused him of being apathetic if he hadn't. Keep up the good work Micheal and maybe one day we wont always be "Stupid White Men".

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

Wow. Did anyone else watch the academy awards tonight? I'm curious to see what everyone thought about Michael Moore's comments.

Basically (and I'm paraphrasing):
    "I invited all the nominees for documentary on the stage with me, because we are drawn towards non-fiction. We choose to work with non-fiction in a fictitious time. We live under a fictitious president who won through a fictitious election. He wages a war for fictitious reasons. Shame on you, Mr. Bush. Shame on you."

He received a few boos and some applause, but I think the majority of people sat in silence, a little in shock.

Anyway, regardless of your agreement or disagreement of what he said, I am a little curious to know whether people think that such an event is the appropriate place to voice such an opinion. And if the answer is no, then I would suggest that would mean that no one should speak their support for the war or the lives of the men and women risking their lives. In my opinion, I think that if someone really believes in something, then I respect them for using whatever voice they have to stand up for what they believe in, knowing their maybe consequennes for their words. There was a few others who mentioned the war. Susan Surandon flashed a peace sign. I think it was the director for the film which won the best foreign film made a comment about Mexico and that if Frida Kahlo was alive she would be standing aside them in their support against the war.

It was also interesting to see Adrien Brody grab Halle Berry and try to suck her face off, after she presented him the award for best actor.

Later all,
    Scott

Inactive Member mixmastermike81's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think Michael Moore is a great filmmaker and a great man. His films have raised controversy, and I don't always agree with the way he goes about things, but I also recognize that films such as these cause us to question the politicians and the people in power of our nations. We can not always follow their lead like little sheep. We must educate ourselves and formulate well-rounded opinions on our own. This reason for the war going on right now is not as simple as so many people think it is. It is about not only oil, but also egos and terrorism. I do agree that Hussein should be killed, but the war going on right now is ILLEGAL! and should not be happening. America should be there, standing on the sidelines waiting for the UN to sanction it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Poor Michael Moore he will never win another Oscar....EVER, no matter how good a film he makes.

I can understand how he would be tempted to "seize the moment, " on a national stage.
    I also feel it was in POOR TASTE.

Perhaps he's been overly influences by "Ditto Heads," constantly telling us all that everyone in the media, at least in Hollywood are liberals.

I am personally worried that we as Americans are becoming very intolerant with people who have different of opinions, in this country.

These same people would tell you they support free speech, the Bill of Rights and our Constitution, but don they anything against W or the war!

Just think of it, it use to be the people on the left who would "Shout down, " people speaking on conservative issues!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nigel, wow that is cool you were at the world premiere, did Michael Moore have anything to say about the film?

I purposely asked the question of whether or not people think a venue such as the academy awards is the appropriate place to voice an opinion *instead* of whether or not they agree with his comments, with the hope that it wouldn't create a flame-war.

As for myslef, I may not agree with what Moore said or how he said it, I do find myself having a deep respect for him for having the courage to speak his views knowing it would impact his future chances of any other oscars. I would like to think that if there was something I strongly believed in that I too would have the courage to speak out on what I feel knowing the consequences which could result to myslef and my career. But unfortunately I don't know.

Scott

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm also a libertarian.
    I also think Mr. Moore is overrated, in that he pretends to be doing documentaries, but really makes well-crafted films that reflect only HIS point of view.

As far as the political speeches at the Academy Awards, I support freedom of speech, meaning I don't agree that someone should be barred from ever speaking their mind, but that doesn't mean that they MUST ALWAYS do it.
    Specifically, I am weary of how celebrities basically hijack events that are for one purpose - entertainment, for their own personal needs to be more important than they really are.
    These actors and filmmakers, etc., have risen to world fame because we are entertained by them, then they start taking themselves VERY seriously, and then start taking advantagee of VERY expensive events that SOMEONE ELSE paid for and worked very hard for, to make themselves look like they have some global importance, or whatever.
    I say all these people should put together their own shows, book and pay for the network air time themselves, then they can grandstand all they want.
    And all of you who would be fascinated with such a show can tune in, but as for me, I'm sick of it all.
    I don't care what Michael Moore thinks,
    I don't care what Merul Streep thinks,
    I don't care what Julianne Moore thinks, or Michael Douglas, or Jennifer Lopez, etc.
    Just act when they say "action", and shut up the rest of the time if you're on someone else's dime.

And Boss-Jock, your statement "...These same people would tell you they support free speech, the Bill of Rights and our Constitution, but don they anything against W or the war!

Just think of it, it use to be the people on the left who would "Shout down, " people speaking on conservative issues! "

I have a couple comments about this.

1. I am dismayed at the LACK of supporting our Constitution that people have, especially on the left.
    I am so sick and tired of liberals screaming about how sacred the right of free speech is, then they totally ignore the 1st and 2nd ammendment regarding freedom of people to practice their religeon, and the right to "keep AND bear arms", when they say that all guns should be outlawed.
    I don't want to jump into the reasons they have for banning guns, just like I don't want to jump into the reasons for NOT having unlimited free speech - a right is a right.... right?
    If one is untouchable, then so are all the others.

2. The left is still quite active in trying to silence conservatives, thank you very much.
    In fact, there is a big movement to get Michael Savage thrown off the air right now, just like they tried to do with Rush Limbaugh and others.

The truth is, most of the left supportts free speech - but only for liberals.
    Their constant attempt at branding concervatives as those who try to suppress others free speech, is just so they can say:

"WE MUST SILENCE THOSE WHO OPPOSE FREE SPEECH!"

You see this all the time when someone other than a leftist speaks at basically any university in the U.S.:
    They are screamed down until they have to just leave the podium and go home.
    It happens all the time.

Matt Pacini

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matt Pacini:
    You see this all the time when someone other than a leftist speaks at basically any university in the U.S.:They are screamed down until they have to just leave the podium and go home.It happens all the time.Matt Pacini
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might be suprise you but I do not disagree with you. Wrong is wrong.

Its just that I am noticing a more militant mood among conservatives in general and less tolerance.

The general sentiment is that we are at war now and you should not say anything against the fact that we are at war or against the President.

I can understand this for people in the military with limited rights while service the Commander and Chief, but we are a free people.

And speaking of that...

During Clinton's Presidency , I remember some high ranking military personnel publicly expressed disdain for President Clinton and Right Wing Talk Radio loved it. If such a thing were done today, peace or war, they would be calling for his head.

Again, double standard. I remember very well. I also recall some right-wing talk hosts saying that it was "very courageous" for them to do so. As you know, it is against military rules for a member of the U.S. Armed Forces to criticize the President, but that didn't stop Rush, from congratulating them for doing just that.

Please remember that Popular speech does not need protection. Free speech is the ability to decent without persecution.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And you might be surprised but I agree with you too! (aren't we getting warm & fuzzy?)

Seriously, I'm all over the place politically. My liberal friends think I'm conservative, and my conservative friends think I'm liberal, but I am getting annoyed that people are saying that nobody should disagree or complain about the president while we're at war.
    I just have a serioius annoyance with self-important celebrities, who think we're all sittting out here waiting to hear from THEM for guidance, and that we cry ourselves to sleep when they make the talk show rounds to discuss how they kicked their cocain habit, or were mistreated when they were kids or whatever.
    When I turn on the Academy Awards, I want to watch the academy awards!
    Like I said, if they want to make political speeches, fine.
    Just do it in that context, and don't make someone else pay for it.
    I support their right to do it, but I still am irritated with it.!
    Matt Pacini

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 24, 2003 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Matt Pacini ]</font>

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast