Thread: Some last querries of Canon 514XL-S (first film)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, so I am shooting my first film in two days, Tuesday night GMT. I will be shooting one roll of silent K40 colour film. I have never shot a super 8 film before, but I have a camera which appears to work (as far as I can tell without film in it) and have studied the manual. Also I am prepared for shooting - storyboard, costume, notes, etc...

I am nearly ready, I just have a few things about the camera I want to clarify first;

1. What exacly is Macro-Cinematography (in layman's terms please)? What does it mean for the way the picture will look, and why would I want to use it?

2. EE Lock Lever. I can hold this in position with a rubber band right? By the way, I use an SLR camera, so "aperture" is no mystery to me, but... in the example of shooting at a light fitting (ON) on the ceiling, how would I use this aperture-locking feature, and why?

3. I may want to shoot single frames. I have no electronic cable release, but I do have the microphone (with switch) that plugs into where the cable release goes. Can I use this for this purpose. I hesitate because in the manual it states

"Be careful not use the microphone switch for single frame shooting. It can prevent correct film transport."
    What does this mean? and is it true?

Thank you all very much for helping me, and I will be sure to tell you how it went. Please respond with haste.

Jack

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You want to use macro for filming extreme close ups. Put the lens in macro mode and you should notice that you have to put the camera close to objects before they are in proper focus. The manual for this camera states that you can only use apertures of 5.6 on up.

Use the EE lock when you don't want the aperture to change while filming

The microphone probably doesn't work well on single frame simply because (back in the day) you wouldn't be using a microphone while shooting single frames cause no sound is recorded anyway. It was meant for starting/stoping full speed sound filming and if used for single frame it may not click just one frame it may do several before stopping. I'm not sure if its harmful to the camera or not if tried.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Film went pretty well. Only thing is that it was all under-exposed (acording to the guide in the "view-screen". But It was shot in a well lit room (at night) so I hope it wont be pitch black.

I'll send it off to be developed at Kodak tomorrow. How long should it take?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    3 weeks, but you might get lucky.
    Im counting down the days for the return of 4 rolls at the moment.
    Oh... its just like christmas, but for grown ups. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]