Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Why, Father?" My New 1Day Film!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey there.

Man.. I thought this was just... horrible.

At first I thought it was a joke. I was waiting for the gag... But it went on... and on... and on...

I dunno.. Maybe I am some kind of scumbag or something but I cant stand this kind of preachy shit. And I don't really buy into the people that actually think like this.. It all seems very very fake.

Good job for actually making something I guess. But for me it failed on every single level I would set for what I would call a good short film.

Despin out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

...lol.

I don't know if i should take you all seriously.

I mean, this film was pretty much appluded and accepted at 2 other forums.

I dont know whither thsi forum is overly Cynical, Overly Athiest or what, but give a guy a brake.

~Nathaniel Out

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't think people here are trying to get down on you. Your product just doesn't jive with most people here.

My bills get paid by shooting film. If the film is shit I don't get paid. If the director doesn't like what I do I don't get work. Perhaps I expect others to be as serious about what they do as I am...This is not a hobby for me. I am not out here trying to express myself through film.

If the other forums liked it fine--If anyone likes it that is great. It didn't do shit for me. You are not the only one that these people have given the third degree. 99% of what Untamed has made that I have seen has been crap. But, it doesn't try to hit you over the head with some sort of moral. So it is easier to take even though I don't like it.

Hopefully, you will bring more work to the table and improve your skills as an artist. If you feel it is your goal to share with the world your ideas of right, wrong, do, don't....So be it. No one here has faulted you for your effort just the outcome.

Good Luck

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No of course not, I just don't really understand why the only bunch of people that are really hard to please are on this forum.

And yet they give rav reveiws to a short about food attacking little girls. It was good but come on...

Inactive Member Tasty Fish Lips's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is more to a film than its story or idea. Its success also relies on its execution.

The film Pearl Harbor may have tried to be something to honor the memories of those who died there, but I sure didnt see it that way. That film, to me, was just an excuse to make a pathetic romance and action summer blockbuster.

But take a film like Airplane! This movie has no moral agenda - it is just some good laughs. And man does it deliver.

Out of curioisty, what are the other forums where you showed your film?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Haven't seen your movie because it took more than 15 minutes to download, but I'll try again later.

There's this guy I know, who finds himself a movie maker and the 'things' he makes, well, they're crap. But he takes himself very very seriously and so does he take his 'films'. He won't take critisism, even though he doesnt have any talent, and well... he takes himself waaay too seriously with his shite movies!

Point is, I've made a loooot of shit as well. I don't take myself seriously with those shitty movies. People know I find my own products shit, and therefore they look at them with different eyes. Knowing that I do not have any more intentions than get a few cheap laughs, just take the product as a 'minute long entertaining piece and nothing more' they can actually manage to enjoy the 'movies'. When you're intentions are nothing more than shit, you can get away with shit, you see.

Of course, this does not apply to my 'serious' movies. I take myself very seriously here.

Now that I've said all this, what's my point? Ehm... I guess for one, that's why untamed agression can get away with his sisters being chased by a sandwich. And I also think that's why, on this filmmaking forum, you can't get away with your intentions. They're too big, too great, you desire too much. To achieve all of this, you need to have a fantastic piece of film. That's hard. So the chance of failing is very high.

Thing is, everyone's honest on this forum. Be glad.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Initiate:
    No of course not, I just don't really understand why the only bunch of people that are really hard to please are on this forum.

And yet they give rav reveiws to a short about food attacking little girls. It was good but come on...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Untamed knows his market. He seems to be learning the rules before he breaks them, his result is clich?d but well paced and it invokes a tone of fun.

I'm not an athiest, but close - tao teaches you to believe in yourself, not some deity making you do a dress rehearsal. But I'm hardly a taoist either, I just think it's poetic.

I've made my fair share of shit, and still do, only this time it's feature length. I've seen Bad Taste and it bored me to tears, perhaps that's why I think Lord of the Rings is really boring too. (Frighteners I think is excellent though).

There's no accounting for taste. So don't try unless it's tax deductable.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Emjen made a good point, everyone is honest on this forum, so be glad, because you got what you asked for. Honest criticism is the only type that's worth anything. Otherwise how do we learn from our mistakes?

I dont know whither thsi forum is overly Cynical, Overly Athiest or what, but give a guy a brake.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Overly Athiset? I think you've given yourself too much credit if you think that's why people dislike it. Get used to criticism like this if you wanna make films, or get out now. Learn from constructive criticism or you'll never get any better.

Give you a break? As Tasty said you asked for our opinions, now you've got them.

Inactive Member crookedfeatures's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I thought your film got way off topic (a bit like this thread [img]smile.gif[/img] )

It reminded me of propaganda films rather than a disaster appeal. yes it started off about the tsunami but that only lasted about 10 seconds and then it started preaching at the audience about all manner of things completely unrelated. Owning cars, eating meat, possessions and everything.

So, yes your intention was good but way too grand - you can't solve the world's problems with a film about a man talking to a statue.

Other than that I pretty much agree with everything despin said.

One last point - if your film consists of a man talking to a statue it needs to be a lot shorter.

Sorry to be so negative [img]frown.gif[/img] At least some others have been more positive - you can't please all the people all the time...

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ January 04, 2005 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Kiff_Kroker ]</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 04, 2005 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Kiff_Kroker ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also thought it was a joke to start with.
    I couldn't watch it all sorry.

Lack of subtlety was the main problem. Sorry for being harse, but i think that anyone who is saying that it is good as a film is being kind and more likely rewarding your pious intention.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast