0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

>For ?340 you can buy a basic PC with everything
    > you need to get started and upgrade it as you
    > go.

does that include a monitor and keyboard?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OS X is a nice platform, it's stable, user friendly and resource efficient. BUT, it's the only game in town as far as Macs are concerned. I find them generally to be underpowered and "Dead Out of The Box." Upgrades cost too much, limited choice of components etc. I bought the one for work as it was the best for that specific purpose. We'll run it for about 3 or 4 years until the instrument it's attached to is obselete then we'll skip them both. At least with a PC we could rebuild it, less wasteful in the long run.

I still prefer Windows to OS X though, it's an unruly, resource hungry, unstable bitch, but still miles more flexible than OS X. Win2K is going to be my choice for a while. And don't even talk to me about Linux, I don't want and OS that every 15 year old hacker in the world has the source code to.

My advice if you're starting out with editing video and have no money? Buy two second hand VCR's and go nuts. If you can put something decent together with tape-to-tape linear editing you are a real man/woman.

-------------------------

But my Falcon still owns all a y'all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by eidde:
    >For ?340 you can buy a basic PC with everything
    > you need to get started and upgrade it as you
    > go.

does that include a monitor and keyboard?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes. People always forget that second-hand pc components have zero resale value. Just go to e-bay, I got a 21" CRT monitor for ?75 includin P&P.

Cheap as chips. (Ooooh that's a good one.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

VCR to VCR -haaaa!! that's so funny!
    Anyone remeber Aladin Software! haaaa!!
    That was like 89' ,91' ish - What a nightmare...
    Anyway ..
    I'm totally computer stupid to be honest- In fact I have never done it professionally- I'm the camera kid- But this year I finally decided -I was going to learn, so I went the way of most novice- bought a pc shell and have been building it to edit as I go= Started with Penti 4= 3.40ghz,800fsb-256mb, pci express graphic's card, 4gbx2 dull channel DDSDR2 SDRAM, 5600k, - 8 USB ports- Running windowsxp(-I know-selling my soul to mircosoft,right) and - reasearching software leaning toward Adobe-
    The biggest problem so far- Was getting my old analogue footage to load through my capture device- But I think I've finaly got that under control....
    I have so much to learn it's sick!!! [img]redface.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

you don't buy a mac expecting to upgrade anything more than the memory and hard-drive, or you will be very disappointed.

2000/XP are stable on good hardware, no less than OS X.

my reasoning at the time i bought mine was that windows was driving me nuts at work (all 1170 of them) and the windows flag was assimilating my very soul. i needed a breath of fresh virus-free air. and i had to consolidate my home office into a 12" square as well as be able to continue editing.

believe it or not, apple make one of the cheapest, fastest, laptops in the 12" form factor (or did ... dunno about now).

so sure, i was expecting a compromise on rendering speed and to be honest it's the only thing that really grates (and the fact flash websites put the cpu up to 100%)

i think the Mac mini is a good product, being somewhat overhyped by Apple because they want to sell a few. to be honest it amazes me that people even care what Apple does with their 3% and shrinking market share.

personally i'm waiting to see if this 3GHz G5 ever materialises -- Jobs promised it within 12 months about two years ago.

AMD and Intel have hit a similar speed barrier, but they are putting more cores into their CPU to compensate.

I still think the Mac running OS X is the superior product. History shows the superior product always loses the war in the mass-market commiditised market.

shit, have i just been talking about computers again

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I bet you bought a betamax VCR didn't you? How many bitter people are still wandering around complaining about that one? Funnily enough, all the ones I know own Macs and tell me how much better they are.

------------------------

Remember kids, there's a world of difference between hardware and OS.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 13, 2005 12:25 PM: Message edited by: jb. ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

betamax became digibeta in a roundabout incompatible sort of way.

the only vcr i ever bought was a sony, and it was vhs.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

VCR to VCR -haaaa!! that's so funny!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's how I used to edit all my animations when I was a kid. My friend would bring his parents VCR over to my house and we'd have one tape of all the scenes in one and a blank tape in the other and basically assemble it through the TV. We did it so much that I broke the "pause" button on my parents old Ferguson toploader.

Consumer products are the worst things to work with. Ever.

Ahhh, great days.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've been in South Africa for 2 weeks. (in the Bush not the Jungle)

Wow that's so cool the Mini Mac. I recon this is angled at iPod owners on PC's that want to give AppleMac's a go at an affordable price.

Truly Awesome.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by jungleguy:
    ...Wow that's so cool the Mini Mac. I recon this is angled at iPod owners on PC's that want to give AppleMac's a go at an affordable price.

Truly Awesome.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I really hope that's sarcasm.

------------------------

sx64
    Now that's a computer.