Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Reved: Kev lives under different laws than the US readers of this board, which just confuses the original question
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">True of course, but the action taken by the police here is extremely similar to that of the U.S if someone brandishes realistic looking firearms in public.

Originally posted by JayX_SWM: i don't think you should be allowed to have it in public, i never said or incinuated that.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You may not have meant that, but your comments here:
    thanks to the idiots who make up UK law, it seems that blank firing weapons are now also illegal, so another good way of having realistic guns on camera has been removed.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">in the context of this topic and the posts before it do indicate that the problem was with the law and not the amateur filmakers.

I suppose the most interesting thing here is that 8mm Bandit hasn't posted on here again, or checked what anyone's said in answer to his very badly expressed post forums

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well oh yeah...I've killed 316 people, all on 16mm film, AND my father is Charles Manson!
    --------------------

"I went to Cannes Film Festival knowing I had snubbed the faggot president of the jury [Patrice Ch?reau]. He had tried to befriend me in Paris, and I paid no attention to him. He complained, 'Who does he think he is! Does he know who I am?' And I responded, 'yeah I know, you're some faggot, some faggot Frenchman. What do you mean do I know who you are?" - Vincent Gallo
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">kozikmanson

gallo

It's UNCANNY, folks.

Inactive Member thetokyobombdisaster's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by reved:
    The person who asked the original question lives in the US, as do most of the people who have commented in this thread.

If using some common sense (like notifying local establishments of your plans several days in advance, to perhaps get cooperation and/or 'closed-store' access (product placement opportunities)), it could become a really interesting film. BUT: I don't know what '8mm bandit' had in mind for his production, as he didn't specify any plans or scenes, but would NOT recommend using fake firearms around the public. Hopefully, it'll be an indoor closed-set, at least NOT running down a sidewalk full of clueless metropolitan pedestrians with a pistol in hand! (It might work in a "suicide-by-cop" situation, or if you wish to see who's going to step-up & become the 'hero' of the crowd).

'8mm Bandit' needs to give us some idea of the scenes he wishes to produce which include firearms. In this case, comments from somebody who lives in a country with such restrictive laws against firearm ownership are unneeded. Kev lives under different laws than the US readers of this board, which just confuses the original question (which, I'll admit, 8mm Bandit didn't ask in a very clear fashion to begin with).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well it would require a variety of different scenes with guns in different settings. Some maybe in the woods or parks, and some in my own home or the backyard of a friend.
    Also, I live in the State of kentucky, and I don't know if people in the U.K are familiar with our "rednecks" especially in Kentucky where lot's of crazy hillbillies have all kinds of guns.
    Threre's been shootings here in Kentucky in broad daylight on very busy streets, and I don't mean in the ghetto I mean between a dude in a car and a spandex clad bicyclist.
    But that's off the subject.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

in the context of this topic and the posts before it do indicate that the problem was with the law and not the amateur filmakers.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i do think the problem is with the law. i think that there's a large percentage of people who buy this weapons (for filmmaing or any other purpose) who have the intelligence to deal with them properly. you don't see people waving bb guns around in the streets often, but a lot of people own them. i think most people understand, if you're seen holding a replica firearm in public these days, you will get an armed response.

i think its typical this country thinks the easiest way to get out of a problem, or a potential problem, is ban it. unfortunately, the weapons people use in a crime, mainly guns, are not legally purchased anyway. therefore banning people from owning firearms, and especially blankfirers or any other replica, will do virtually nothing except let the people who set the law sleep better at night under the impression they've made a difference. until the next massacre with a sword or something. then you ban swords. then pen knives. then kitchen knives. etc etc.

end of the day, my point is.. they said you can easily convert a blank firer into a legitimate weapon. its not a good idea to do that, the manufacturing quality on the guns is pretty rubbish most of the time (very few companies use proper moulds and methods) and firing a live round down the chamber is seriously not a good idea. i doubt many people have tried, and if they have i bet they didn't try again.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by 8mm bandit:
    Well it would require a variety of different scenes with guns in different settings. Some maybe in the woods or parks, and some in my own home or the backyard of a friend.
    Also, I live in the State of kentucky, and I don't know if people in the U.K are familiar with our "rednecks" especially in Kentucky where lot's of crazy hillbillies have all kinds of guns.
    Threre's been shootings here in Kentucky in broad daylight on very busy streets, and I don't mean in the ghetto I mean between a dude in a car and a spandex clad bicyclist.
    But that's off the subject.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OH, you shouldn't have any problems in KY with using firearms. At least not in your house, your friends yard, or the woods. Local parks might be a different matter. Never carry live ammo, if you even plan on firing shots. If no shooting is required in those scenes, it might be helpful to remove the firing pin bolt also (I have a couple SKS assault rifles, & store the firing pin bolts seperately from the rest of the guns whenever transporting them anywhere outdoors).

In parks, it might be handy to string up some orange tape around the area where you'll be filming. From a distance, passerbys would likely see the tape & realize something is going on before noticing your actor(s) carrying weapons. It would reassure most people that the event has been set-up in advance, and isn't a 'real' crime. It would also help keep pedestrians from accidentally walking through your scenes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123