Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Locations

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Kristofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2001
    Posts
    50
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I finally finished my script and need help with one thing.....LOCATIONS!!!! I have a contract I found somewhere, but how do you get people to let you use their house/office/etc.? I could really use help on this. If I get my locations, I can start shooting soon.

    Kristofer

    ------------------
    "Ugggggh"
    -some zombie from NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD

  2. #2
    Inactive Member GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2001
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ask em. sort out a pitch. offer them space in the credits. find out who the building admin is.

    make sure you have your insurance sorted.

    ask. ask. ask. be polite. have a decent explaination of what you need. be flexible - perhaps when they have cleaners in or at weekends.

    if your talent works in or lives in the buildings then have them help...maybe you could find 'talen' amongst those who look after the buildings.




    ------------------
    Grizz:

    Remember lads. Grizz;y is hear to remind you not all fluffy mamals are fiendly

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Littlerich's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 1999
    Posts
    506
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    WHen I was filming a short, "Living on the outside", I needed to film a young girl throwing a brick through the window of a car.

    I went to the local scrap yard and asked them (causiously) if we could film. They gave me permission straight away, before I'd even asked if we could smash a window.

    If you ask, as grizz said, there shouldn't be a problem. (there are always exceptions though...)

    ------------------
    KEEP FOCUSED!
    Little Rich.
    http://go.to/littlerich
    [email protected]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Thread Killa's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2001
    Posts
    98
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica, sans serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Littlerich:
    They gave me permission straight away, before I'd even asked if we could smash a window.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Did they have any prior knowledge that you were going to be smashing things?

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Littlerich's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 1999
    Posts
    506
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, they picked up on it before I mentioned it, and when I confirmed, they still had no problems!

    They were very helpful, and evewn dug me out the right coloured car and ene moved it in front of a wall so I wouldn't have any problems with continuity!

    I promised them they would get a copy of the finished film and a mention in the credits.

    ------------------
    KEEP FOCUSED!
    Little Rich.
    http://go.to/littlerich
    [email protected]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you cant underestimate a good wink and a smile when negotiating,

    but serously jsut ask these peopel worst they can do is say no then you go off and fuind someone else to ask

    not rocket science



    ------------------
    www.5ylac.s5.com

  7. #7
    Inactive Member sn-films's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2001
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Locations are definitely tricky... back in the day, we had two tricks to secure a location if your crew is small enough:
    (1) 'Guerilla style' - in and out before you get caught. Remember, its easier to appologize than to ask permission. See "Cecil B. Demented" (a messed up ode to people who post messages on these boards).
    (2) When you describe what you're trying to do, downplay the size of the crew, etc. If the owner buys it, you're in for free. When you show up, have people filter in over a short period of time and appoligize to the owner. If the owner doesn't buy it and you need permits, etc., you haven't lost anything.
    Its worth a shot.

    On a more personal note, I find it insulting that people want to have additional insurance, especially for outdoor shots. In the US, there is an "implied consent" law that baically states that if your playing a sport, you understand that there's a possibility that you're going to get hurt.

    If anyone does have a generic waiver for a director and property owner, I'd love to see it. I have something, but the legal-ese has so many gaps that the director would get bent over the barrel if anything happens.

    ------------------
    www.sn-films.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •