Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making your film is only half the story ...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Miker.

I think you put it better than me.
    I mean, I contemplated burning my dodgy Lord of the Rings DVD but decided to sell it because of the toxic fumes and a lack of money.

And as for not copying stuff that I feel "emotionally attatched" to, yes I agree.
    But my main problem is the knowledge that right now there are people who have no respect for films (maybe the ones I'm 'attatched' too) and are downloading maybe "A beautiful mind" or "The royal tenenbaums" from the internet and not giving a shit. I'm not a religous person but I cant help but worry about some of these people. I find out last week that one of my mates rents film from Blockbuster and then rips them to CD using DIVX - I was pissed.
    Computers should definately not be censored, monitored, licensed etc but people should stop making it easy for everyone to break the law.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

most amateur and/or commercial pirates have no respect for the industry they are ripping off.

example: one of my brothers constantly copies playstation CD's which have originated from the far-east (so are easier to copy since they are already cracked) -- the funny thing is, he has all these 100s of games --- but never plays one for more than about 5 minutes!

whereas I'm still playing my legal copy of DiabloII and Expansion Pack on the PC that I bought in 2000 (yes, sad I know)

But piracy can also promote your product, too. Why do you think Microsoft are now making it more difficult to run Windows illegally after a decade of 'letting the home user get away with it'. Because all the illegal copies made the monopoly we see today, we only have ourselves to blame!

like I say, a complex subject, not least because copying something is not regarded by most as stealing.

------------------
    http://www.cluscon.co.uk

RoyBaty2002

The real issue here is not the increase of piracy or copryright, its the integrity of the created image/sound. If you use an illeagal copy of a game or softwear or a movie, are you shitting on someones talent? I say no. Dont get me wrong i think piracy is wrong, but we all use the products of piracy. There was a discussion on this forum a while back about how corperations use monopolies to influance our choice. Well piracy hurts them, not the artist. Dont listern to sony, microsoft, or universal moaning about how invasion of THEIR copyright jepodises future production. All it jepodises is their profit margin. But these are the devils that we all need to sustain the artisic industries, such as music publishing, and movie making.
    So if an artist chooses to distribute his/her pieces via a medium that makes piracy and invasion of copyright easy, such as the internet, does he/she lose any credability? Or any are they works less valid? No. If a movie is streamed rather than screened it doesn't make it any better or worse. But going back to the original point, a film will always be given a better viewing in an auditarium, with an audience, and popcorn. How many times have you heard someone say, 'It was better at the cinema..' Think about it.

------------------
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Inactive Member Red House Painter's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cinema will never die out because of the internet. Just take a look at the music industry. When tapes came out, people started making all sorts of noises because people could record songs off the radio. Then came FM. Oh no! Now they can record higher quality copies. When cd's came out they pissed there pants because now everyone had digital quality reordings to make copies from. In fact cds turned the music industry into a multi billion pound one because everyone went out and bought all there old favourites even thought they already owned them on record.

When I go to the cinema I phone up and ask whether the film is coming to the end of its release so it will be as empty as possible because I hate people talking, eating, farting and such. I have a 50 inch rear projection tv and dvd player so I can get a pretty good home experience. I've been thinking about getting something bigger but haven't found a decent projector that stands up to the quality without a huge price tag. I'd like to move up to a 200 inch picture.

------------------
    If you can't stand the heat, get out of the frying pan!

gaspode

I don't see what the problem is, surely streaming movies over the net could be a good way to be spotted by someone from a production company, it could even be used as part of an online CV.

------------------
    'It comes in Pints?!'

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Movie theaters don't and will not close down due to technological advances. If anything, movie theaters will close down because the frickin bastards charge $12.95 for a small bag of popcorn.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

whereas I'm still playing my legal copy of DiabloII and Expansion Pack on the PC that I bought in 2000 (yes, sad I know)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm still playing it. On the Mac. With my kids.

img 2334 thumb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12