Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Originality

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mrpinkx007's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2001
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Since many seeno be on the talk of originality tese days, i will dicuss it as well.
    After reading the discussion forum, for several weeks now, it seems to me that the majority of the movies you make are either matrix spinoffs, shootemups etc.
    Instead of ripping off big movies make your own, the key to breaking into the industry, which seems like it is what you want to do, be original. Schools, production companys, etc, look for originality fore most.
    Please respondwith original plot lines you have made, not matrixs pinnoffs or spoofs. PLus there are much better movies to spinoff than the matrix.

    ------------------
    Spencer Nicholson
    Left Hook Productions

  2. #2
    Inactive Member tim.callaghan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2001
    Posts
    84
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I agree with some of what you have said. But, and there always are 'buts', did you really mean to cover yourself in Gasoline when posting this? Or did you just think everybody would be your buddy after slagging them all off and what they do?

    Personally I'm not arsed, but I just was wandering how the other members would react, and possibly give you the inherant flaming they may think you deserve, and considering the amount of gas you doused yourself in, you may just light up easily.

    But, as I said I agree with a lot that you say, it's just I wouldn't publically air it (or did I just do it - Shit!...Run!!!!)

    Tim

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with the part that originality is the key to breaking into the industry. But is there really anything left to show that hasn't been done in one way or the other?

    Also there are movies that are incredibly original but are (excuse the language) shit. Like Memento, it's about a guy who has no short term memory, so everyday he wakes up he doesn't know what happened before. He can only remember stuff for like 5 minutes. So he writes notes and takes pictures and gets tatoos to remind himself. I thought this movie was the stupidest thing I ever seen. Worst movie of the year. BUT, there is always a but, my Cinema teacher and a bunch of people who i know who saw it LOVED it. They said it was the best movie, "go see it!!" and all that crap.

    I completely agree with you about ripping off other movies that have already been made. It's like.. what's the point of making something that's a rip-off. If you make something original AND make it good, you'll be rich.

    I've had so many ideas for movies. But I'm still looking for that one that's just absolutly unexpected. One that creates a new mental landscape of the cinema.

    -Ivan

    ------------------
    "A place for everything and everything in it's place".

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Thread Killa's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2001
    Posts
    98
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica, sans serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LAmind:
    Also there are movies that are incredibly original but are (excuse the language) shit. Like Memento, it's about a guy who has no short term memory, so everyday he wakes up he doesn't know what happened before.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Actually there was a Dana Carvey movie out with the same premise called Clean Slate.
    Here's a link to the review on Amazon: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/630411222X/nothans/002-3668699-8812848"]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/630411222X/nothans/002-3668699-8812848[/ame]

    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Thread Killa (edited September 16, 2001).]

  5. #5
    Jeremy
    Guest Jeremy's Avatar

    Maybe there is nothing new to be done and it's impossible to do anything original, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/futureinfilm

  6. #6
    Inactive Member mrpinkx007's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2001
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    exactlfyou dnt make anything original, dont make anything at all, unless its for the sole purpose of fun,but dont look to be noticed with plagarism because it will be een s such, people, or at leastthe people you want to see your movie, wont even take alook at something unoriginal

    ------------------
    Spencer Nicholson
    Left Hook Productions

  7. #7
    Inactive Member mrpinkx007's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2001
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    is any one else experiencing typing problems on this site, cuz i sure am, i makes me look like a moron.

    ------------------
    Spencer Nicholson
    Left Hook Productions

  8. #8
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    leave it be, most of the people you are talking about on this forum are folk messing about and learning with Camcorders.
    Just the same way as 'real' directors did with super8 cameras, its for fun and learning.
    That said there are a few serious filmmakers here too, but I think these guys have grown beyond Zombie Slasher movies.
    Anyway, nothing wrong with a new Zombie film.


    ------------------

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Thread Killa's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2001
    Posts
    98
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think what we need is a story that breaks the stereotype of the zombie. How about "Dinner With The Dead?" If you combine two standard ideas you might get something.

    Or you can start out with a truly ridiculous idea and get into the minds of the charactors anyway.

    ------------------

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Mods's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 25th, 2001
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No offence, but surely it's a screen-writers job to be original and create original material, aswell as the directors job to execute the script in an original way.

    True, spin-offs are usually going to have the "original" element taken out of them.

    I think if you really want to make it somewhere you really need to strive for originallity. I remember when Deep Impact came out, Armageddon did soon after and cos they were both about meteorites it was hard for people to tell which was best.

    As a screenwriter I would say, be original.
    As a director, I would say, choose original.

    smile
    Mods

    ------------------
    Mark "Mods" Lovegrove

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •