Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

One word - Entertainment! People associate the cinema with entertainment and not with art. Who is to blame for this? It would be easy to blame it all on hollywood formula films that cater to the lowest common denominator but people in general don't appreciate film as an art form. Yes it is stupidity - it a shame when films like Dude Where's my car? gets onto peoples top ten lists. However, I think it would be wrong to blame TV. TV is just the product of this stupidity and laziness that has become society.

The underlying factor is that most films are made to make money... hence, you must indulge popular culture...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very true and it?s true in almost everything - the most popular bread is white sliced, the most poplular newspaper is The Sun, The most popular TV programme is Eastenders etc etc etc.

Mediocrity and blandness rule the masses and the thing I find depressing is that they wouldn't want it any other way.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To answer "Why should people see the value in art?" Because it adds to quality of life that is why.

The Eastenders which I will be the first to admit that I think is a fine show. Is an example of mind numbing art--it is no different than what the Bronte sisters were writing. Their books were viewed as trash 200 years ago but now they are read by every 16 year old in school. Either way what you view art as is "in your eye."

Trash/Pop:Great/High it doesn't matter--In the end it is still art.

Good Luck

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Nigel:
    To answer "Why should people see the value in art?" Because it adds to quality of life that is why.

</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

firstly freudian quote "It is easier to move the masses than the individual" going back to the above...

Not everyone cares for Art the same way not every one cares for football for example (call that a game ? ?) not everyone likes this or that, some people simply dont give a damm

also, and to throw in some more freud you say it adds to quality of life ?????????????? so you are also saying someone not interested in art therfore must have a lower quality of life than someone who does

Also, to diverse slightly on, all these people who moan about hollywood doing this when they should be doing this and this .....

simple answer "they make films;they sale films" a business, like any business they will go for a big selling product with low costs and will market to their hearts content, after all there there to make money. they dont care about J. bloggs in sydenham as an individual hes part of an age range yardy yardy , and why should they ?

READ CAREFULLY &gt; They are not spending any of our money on what they produce, the money there spending is THEIR'S. u did not finance that film, u did not finanace that company , u r not a shareholder , stakeholder, Non executive dierector etc etc etc. They produced a project you spent your money seeing that project whatever they do with that money next is down to them.

also time and time again Hollywood is a business, the studios are busnsssies, if you want to beat the business then goto Business school not film school.

or alternative own a production company called 5YLAC that is going to dominate anyway

[img]cool.gif[/img]

Chance

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

PS.

You dont go to mcdonalds expecting to be served 5 star cuisine do you ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I dont like football at all, but I can see that its a good game.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey there.

You dont like football?

I suspect your a homosexual.

Despin out.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It's all in the demographic.

Ever wondered why so many psychologists are employed by marketing companies?

Or why dead pets from the vetenary surgery are ground up and fed to cattle destined for fast-food?

MONEY!

I think the next world war will be fought over ethics. It won't be a ground war. It'll be Apathy vs Altruism.

But I'm just full of s h i t anyway.

It'd make a good film though.

Once I've written it :-D

Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its like the Adrian Mole society in here with all this talk of the "idiotic masses."

Thinking about it "Radiohead" are the only entity I can thinkof that consistently gain commercial and critical success. Now i'm not a huge radiohead fan, nut i appreciate the spirit of what theyre doing, pleasing themselves first and foremost.

They're one of the worlds most succesful bands, but they'll never have a no1 single. Because if it is difficult to digest, the sun readership don't want to know. Dumb people buy singles, lees dumb people buy albums.

And this is the way it'll always be. My friends and myself all appreciate proper film making. We thought the Royal Tennenbaums was great. It'll never knock Blade 2 off the top of the charts, but it will make the top ten. I resign myself to the fact that silly movies will always be more popular than real movies, but I'm happy in the knowledge that they're are enough people in Ireland who share my views and will continue to appreciate real cinema.

Incidentally football is surely the pinnacle of human existance [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Generic Skinhead: You know what you're fcuking talking about. You've got it sorted. Thats it.

All apart from the football part. Only sport I know that sparks violent attacks under the guise of patriotism. Players get payed way too much. "Manunited rule, Newcastle are **** ". Are you stupid? Any given sunday. And quite possibly the worst thing, Football is responsible for the unfunny jokes about the off-side rule (70% of men don't understand it compared to 80% of women) and quite a few **** films about football such as Bend it like Beckhmam (featuring yet another sh!t offside rule sketch). Not to mention that piece of sh!t film about Alan Shearer and another one about a boy with a magical pair of football boots and....
    ....enjoyable to watch though if you turn the volume off to get rid of those moronic commentators, who dont understand that the most influential factors on the outcome of the game - cant be found on a players bio sheet nor the bio sheets of distant relatives (when they run out of material during half time).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast