Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interested in a London-Based Collaboration for £10K?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Kiddie:
    given this is a competition, would it not be best to voice ideas privately to reduce the chance of being ripped off?

we could come up with the best idea ever and someone else could have a similar one but i see no sense in 'giving' away ideas!

Mike, I have an idea (with legs) but access to said legs is time sensitive - end Aug/begin Sept.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm basically tied up until middle of September. What makes the idea so time sensitive? Is your real name John Titor?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Kiddie:
    Working on a nil budget shouldn't necessarily mean you have to ditch actors?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a stop-motion film. No actors required unless you do v/o.

I am sick and tired of this "no budget" shit. If filmmaking is so expensive then get a different hobby. It's great if you get some of your mates to help out for a pint but not when exploiting total strangers who also may not turn up for the shoot as a paid gig got in their way (speaking from experience).

Imagine starting a business and not paying your staff. Doesn't usually happen unless you're a crook.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmmmm, not sure I totally agree with the argument. Paying a meat puppet may ensure they turn up (eventually) but does not guarantee a performance any better than your mate who would do it for a pint. Unless it's an A-lister. Let's face it, Simon Pegg works with a bunch of mates he met down the pub ..... he's doing alright.

Filmmaking is expensive (I still have debts from my last one in 2004). My new hobby is recording sound for picture.

I'm not sure if people are being facetious about the animation idea, but to me it's a pragmatic practical means of meeting the brief - and it will probably need somebody to record the sounds, woo-hoo!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

An idea which should help kickstart this: how about a spoof of Mason vs Princess' "Perfection"? Watch the original here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZME80DWa9dk

Would that be agreeable to the group? Please advise.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">so a music video then? i thought the benassi satisfaction one was better .... and they are kind of difficult to spoof because they're already self-aware and ironic IMO.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am sick and tired of this "no budget" shit. If filmmaking is so expensive then get a different hobby.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm just confused as to who this was aimed at?

It's great if you get some of your mates to help out for a pint but not when exploiting total strangers who also may not turn up for the shoot as a paid gig got in their way (speaking from experience).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think the fact that you used the word 'EXPLOITING' kind of explains why you've had that sort of experience with actors.

All the best with your entry....I'm out!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am sick and tired of this "no budget" shit. If filmmaking is so expensive then get a different hobby.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your missing the point here... Atleast mine. Composing music is not a hobby of mine, but a profession. I'm used to being paid (quite well) to make music - so when I once a year decide to score something for free, I dont also intend to pay for it as well.

As I said, I understand full well if you want to go with someone else who does want to pay for such a chance. I just thought I would be straight up about it from the get go.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What I am ranting against is the same old budget complaint from indie filmmakers. Hence my suggestion to do animation (since then no one has to pay) or use friends who would do you a favour. This way all we have to bring to the party is our talent and gear and no monies need to change hands.

The argument is not about performance. Someone doing stuff for free can very well put in a better performance than a paid actor. It's the principle I am referring to. If Simon Pegg is your mate and he is happy to work for you for a pint then that's terrific. I just don't want to post a no-budget ad on talentcircle and exploit total strangers (expenses-only or no pay is exploitation in my books).

On the other hand, when each of us pays something in order to participate in a project like this then we are investors in the film and share the copyright of it as well as any monetary gains (such as the 10K).

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 19, 2007 02:55 AM: Message edited by: assyrix ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Right, now that's out of the way back to the problem at hand, and a possible solution:

I have some footage lying around from a failed Guns & Girls project - lots of naked-to-bikini-clad girls posing with an array of weapons and doing choreography with them in front of a greenscreen. Taking the tamer bits of it and putting it into a nice three-minute piece could get us something. Doubt if the topic (nude girls with big, ahem, assets) would get us first price, though.

Any comments? Or other suggestions? And we would be needing a good vfx-guy on this.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a starting point, and surely involves plenty of kinetic energy.

What's the quality of the greenscreen work, in terms of spill etc? Can you post a few sample frames?

Has everyone involved with the footage already signed a release?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Release has been signed at the shoot by cast and crew. Stills to follow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast