-
March 27th, 2004, 03:37 PM
#1
Inactive Member
CONTAINS SPOILERS (Though Nothing A Reviewer Wouldn't Have Said)
Just wondering what anyone thought of this (if anyone has seen it or managed to sit through it)
I'd heard a lot of things about this movie before I purchased it, and whilst I thought the fire extinguisher scene (viewers will know, people who haven't seen it should see it) would be hilarious, I was affected in quite the opposite way.
In fact, even though I knew the victim was a potential rapist (he isn't THE rapist was was about to commit an act of sexual abuse on the 'heroine' of the piece, played by Vincent Cassel) I sobbed after the third or fourth blast, and had to pause the movie once the attack was over.
After a second viewing however, I found it quite liberating, as, once I had seen the whole movie, I was quite happy with the charactrer development of Pierre, who is played by Albert Dupontel.
How did everyone else react to this scene.
Also, the notorious rape scene.
Whilst I didn't find it hard to watch, I found it hard to listen to. Monica Belluci was very convincing in the role and her anguished grunts and almost pig-style squels made me feel very un-at-ease. Which was the supposed effect I'm guessing, so that's good.
What's also very good, is how the whole movie seemingly has no cuts. The final shot, of a 360 degree pan over a garden with children-playing, which degenerates into white noise and strobe lighting, is awe-inspiring.
It's now one of my favourite movies, and for those that haven't seen it, I reccomend it immensely.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 28, 2004 08:32 AM: Message edited by: thelaughingduck2001 ]</font>
-
March 27th, 2004, 03:39 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Oh, and did anyone catch Funny Games on channel 4 on Friday morning (or indeed tape it)
I, unexpectedly, as terrified, and it has inspired me to write and make a short (very easily about a young couple tortured and held in their own home by a suave, debonair young man)
Anyone else recommend anything else by the Director Michael Haneke, along the same lines, or did he just do drama after that? I know he did The Piano Teacher/Player (?) but don't know much about his other films.
-
March 27th, 2004, 06:35 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Just a note. I think you should edit the start of your post to say it contains spoilers. If I hadn't seen the film I'd be pissed off to have one of the key points revealed to me.
Back to the topic, I've said enough times how much I love Irreversible. You should watch Seul Contre Tous, also by Noe, if you can get hold of an uncut copy (it's only available on VHS) there are some really amazing scenes in it.
'Benny's Video' by Haneke is similar to Funny Games. The young hostage taker in Funny Games plays the lead in Benny's Video aswell. It's about the desensitization in modern society to really graphic imagery.
Andy
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks