Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Start spreading the news,
    I'm leaving on Friday,
    I'm going to be apart of it,
    New York, New York

Ahem, so, I'm off for four days in New York on Friday for my 21st birthday. Where should I go, what should I do?

I'm thinking specifically film-related things like good independent cinemas to go to? Second -hand film equipment shops? Locations to visit?

I'm going to be taking my DV camera to get some footage (which may be useful at some point!) and I'm going to go down to Coney Island beach to see where Darren Aronofsky shoots all his stuff (yeah, I'm a big Aronofsky fan). I'm doing a Helicopter trip around the city on Saturday so this should give the odd nice shot!

Oh and if anyone knows any good and interesting places to eat that would be helpful too.

Any good tips will earn the tip-ee a nice stick of New York rock..

Thankyou thankyou,
    Andy

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 01, 2005 11:18 AM: Message edited by: andyblaa ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would suggest a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. I have some great Super8 footage from the brideg just before the towers got nailed.

Bars...Just walk down the street you will find as many as you need. I do suggest the "Village Idiot" If memory serves it is on 9th Ave and 14th St in the village.

Good Luck
    I wish I was there...I have been to NYC since I left NYU.

Inactive Member untamed_aggression's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Didn't stop me bringing about $350 worth of DVDs back.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Untamed Aggression:
    Didn't stop me bringing about $350 worth of DVDs back.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ummm... didn't you have trouple playing them back? There's that wonderful PAL/NTSC nonsense, not to mention Region Codes...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's the magic of a multi-region player... I heartily suggest you invest in one. You'd be surprised how many films are cut to ribbons over here by the BBFC, not to mention the fact that extras are sometimes left off R2 discs completely to keep the disc to a lower certificate.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Untamed Aggression:
    That's the magic of a multi-region player...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK. Now I'm REALLY curious. Lets suppose you have a Region 1 NTSC DVD that is in standard 4:3 "Fullscreen" presentation format... what does that look like on your PAL TV? Does the picture stretch vertically, or are there really narrow black bars at the top and bottom?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's precisely zero difference in terms of stretchyness or black bars... I'm assuming the picture is slightly softer/less detailed than a PAL disc... but I have a shit TV, and thus don't notice.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The difference between PAL or NTSC and NTSC converted to PAL is obvious to the discerning eye. To appreciate that difference, here?s a good exercise:

Watch Sky News
    Watch CNN (In Europe, obviously)

You should see a huge difference. CNN is very muddy. It tends to misrepresent colour terribly. It also looks sort of ?faster? when viewed on a PAL TV.

I guess when they broadcast CNN in Europe they convert NTSC to PAL in real time in much the same manner as a multi-region DVD player. So, to answer sn-films question, when we play an NTSC DVD on a PAL system it looks inferior to how the same DVD would look on an NTSC system. This is because a conversion process occurs whereby adjacent frames are interpolated to produce new, intermediate frames, thus changing the frames per second from 29.97 to 25, but in the process creating artefacts.

How much of this muddiness/fastness that I perceived on European CNN owes to the conversion process and how much can be attributed to NTSC?s inherent crapyness I do not know. This is because I?ve never watched an NTSC TV before.

Inactive Member Tasty Fish Lips's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I used to live in the city - I'll be moving back in about 4 months.

Olden Camera
    1265 Broadway (32nd Street - 2nd Floor)
    (212) 226-3727

This place is a rip off, but it's like a small film musuem. You get a sense of what is was like before video, when films were made on film and these camera and projectors and editors were your choices of what to buy.

And a great used bookstore with a nice amount of books on film:

Strand Book Store
    (212) 473-1452
    828 Broadway
    New York, NY 10003
    Between E 13th St and E 12th St

According to Alex's logic, you should encounter about 7 people who either know me or Nigel during your brief visit.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]smile.gif[/img] I'll say hello to them for you!

The bridge is a good idea, my Super8 camera is sick and can't make the journey unfortunately, I should get some decent DV stuff though.

That bookshop sounds good, I'll try and stock up on cheap biogs. I heard recently that you are not allowed to take more than $130 worth of items out of the country without paying import duty. Anyone know anything about this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast