Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gadd, DiCenso & Kilson in Columbus, Ohio !!!

Groovissimo

If any of you guys are close to Ohio or in Ohio, you are in for a treat !

Steve Gadd, Dave DiCenso and Billy Kilson, all on the same bill at the Columbus Percussion Drum Daze on April 17 !!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If any of my fellow HODers are planning to attend PM me I am getting my tickets this weekend. I live in the Cleveland area and I will be taking my son. Cannot wait I think that this will be the best Drum Daze yet!! PT.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wow... this will be my one and only moment i wish i lived in ohio.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL

[...even if from a galdurned "regionalist!"] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Just trying to keep up w the poluticallly correct crowd, there... [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sure.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

Mind if I plagiarize that? I'm gonna use that one at some point...

Daniel LeClaire

Hmm...I may go. I've been to it before a couple times, but I'm a good 5 hours away. Long drive. [img]graemlins/gulp.gif[/img]

So I'm reading on Billy Kilson's website and I come across this, "But all through college and the early years after college, I tried to put in those 14 hours on the drums." As in 14 hours a day. That's not even possible! Is it? I always thought the guys who said they did 8 hours a day were crazy!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

PT!
    I'll go!

Give me a call.

weeeeeeeeeee!

cjbdrm

Road Trip!

Dang! 7 hours and 28 minutes by car.

Groovissimo

Here is an up-date on who's playing in Columbus, Ohio on April 17...

Steve Gadd (Paul Simon, Eric Clapton, James Taylor)

Giovanni Hidalgo (Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey, Paul Simon)

Billy Kilson (Dave Holland Group, Bob James)

Dave DiCenso (Steve Morse, Berklee College of Music)

One more artist, to be announced.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First of all... holy crap to that line-up!

Second of all:
    "But all through college and the early years after college, I tried to put in those 14 hours on the drums."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It don't buy that, and not for one minute will he get me to believe as to that he did that everyday! I mean, yeah, back in the day i have done that a few times but i wouldn't go and tell people that was my routine. I just don't buy it. On another tangent, if you WERE to do that everyday, the amount of muscle memory developed would have peaked WAY BEFORE the 14 hours had been reached. There is a sweet spot and anything after that is not efficient use of practice time. It is a physiological fact.

Example: 4 intense 15 minute sessions of muscle memory development punctuated by 4, 15 minute breaks between sessions will do more for your kinesthetic memory than one straight hour... however, i can't have breaks in between my session or i get distracted, so only the inefficient means of practicing for me, thank you very much [img]tongue.gif[/img]

An interesting book on this is the United States Military Navy Seals Complete Conditioning and Physical Training Handbook. I believe it talks about that in the section that it gives a brief overview of sniper-school training. And no, i am not kidding [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good point, matricks.

In my heyday of obsessive practicing I would max at about 6 hrs...this was when I was out of HS.
    Average was anywhere from 2 to 5 daily, 4 or 5 days a week...this lasted consistently for about 2 yrs...

But as has also been said here, amount of practice does not nec equate w quality... [img]wink.gif[/img]

------------------

Sorry to off-top a bit, but it was mentioned:
    Dave DiCenso (Steve Morse
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HOLD ON, WAIT A DARN MINUTE!

What's this about DD w SM? Did he record w him or something?

Stv is currently touring w the Dregs/SMB...is DD playg w him, AOT Rod or Van?!

I was going to try to arrange to go regardless anyway, as the last time I saw them over 2 yrs ago they were fantastic [I mean, after all, Rod used to be a fave back in the day; & Van in his own right is no slouch either].

But w DD w them, it would be a touch of the added sickness!... [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 13, 2005 01:53 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast